Running Unity Connection 8.5(1)SU1
I setup 1 user for Single Inbox (http to Exchange 2003 via WebDav) he's working great.
Now I want to enable Single Inbox for the remaining 345 subscribers. They are already LDAP integrated.We just moved from Unity Unified 7.0 (with Exchange 2003) to Unity Connection 8.5
How do I use Bulk Edit to enable the remaining subscriber for Unified Messaging/Single Inbox?
Jeff - would be great if COBRAS going from Unity Unfiied Messaging to Unity Connection Unified Messaging would automatically configure everything since it already knows the Exchange alias, etc.
I attached a sample Bulk Edit > Unified Messaging update that failed
"Could not find a unified messaging accounts with columns: subscriberalias = torwh3, servicedisplayname = HAC-Exchange and optionalServiceAccountID: |",torwh3,HAC-Exchange,,LAhrens@eamericas.com,0,1,0,1,0,2,LAhrens,
Those procedures only work if your are creating those accounts in bulk and enabling UM at the same time. I have not found a way to enable UM for existing LDAP synced accounts in UCON.
Has anyone attempted a Unified Messaging service migration by bulk process? I have a Unity Connection 9.1(2) server that has a UM service setup for an Exchange 2007 service with most all of the accounts setup for this service. I now have a new UM service setup for an Exchange 2013 server and have migrated a few test users manually to the new UM service as their mailbox is moved between Exchange servers. This manual process works fine, but it is manual.
I have tried to use an UPDATE - UNIFIED MESSAGING ACCOUNTS Bulk Task from the UCxn admin tool and a .csv file with the proper headers, but it seems to fail due to the blank optionalServiceAccountID field. Since it was optional, I left it blank. Does anyone know how to handle this field?
I basically got a failure objects file full of this statement.
Could not find a unified messaging accounts with columns: subscriberalias = cmorris, servicedisplayname = ICTExch01 and optionalServiceAccountID: |
Nevermind, found my own answer.
There really ought to be CiscoUnityTool for this.
Figured it out.I hope this helps.
I just ran into the same issue as you did and found your post very helpful, however need to clarify step 8 is incorrect. It is stated as
Via Bulk Administrator, bulk create UM accounts
It should be
I am attempting this now. I exported Unified Messaging accounts. Removed most of the users expect three test subjects. Updated the Unified Messaging Server information. However, when I attempt to update I get error: "Could not find a unified messaging accounts with columns: subscriberalias" for all three test subjects. I made no other modifications to the export.
Figured it Out.
CUC 10.5, Unified Messaging Servers are changed from Windows 2008 to Windows 2012R2. There for I had to created new Unified Messaging Accounts.
Now I have to update all the voice mail boxes Unified Messaging Accounts Servers. To do so I had to first run a .BAT to "Delete" The Unified Messaging Accounts, then run a second .Bat File to "Create" the Unified Messaging Accounts.
Specifically: Scroll to "Updating Unified Messaging Accounts"
"If you want to change either the subscriber (subscriberAlias) or the unified messaging service (serviceDisplayName) for a group of unified messaging accounts, you must delete existing unified messaging accounts and then create new accounts that have the new values. You cannot change the value of OptionalServiceAccountID, which is automatically generated when you create unified messaging accounts."