Views
Helpful
Replies

consolidating 2 unity servers from 2 different clusters into 1

musademirel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I like to ask if anyone has dealt with a similar scenario. I have 2 independent CUCM v6 clusters. I also have 2 unity environments hosting each cluster. one on version 5 and the other on unity connect v8. I need to phase out the existing old version 5 and consolidate all unity users into version 8. This means both clusters pointing to the same unity box. Both sites run over VPN and connect via intercluster trunk.

With regards to licencing we will consolidate the unity version 5 licenses. Does anyone have an overview idea of the steps to take and any pitfalls to avoid? I realise you have to create a new phone system and add the additional subscribers in the second cluster. Furthermore i know you have to create new ports and pilot /hunt /line groups.

Any past experiences or suggestions welcome.

thanks

M

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, the 2nd set of ports would be unique from the current set. If the clusters are connected via intercluster trunk there would be no need to create duplicate ports on both clusters.

Thanks,

Doug

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

drufalo
Level 1
Level 1

Musa,

I want to make sure I understand your scenario.

You have a Unity 5 system and a Unity Connection 8 system which are both integrated to the 2 CUCM clusters, is this correct?  If you don't mind, can you lease clarify exactly what you configuration is?

You can integrate Unity Connection to both clusters individually or you can integrate to one cluster and the users on the other cluster can reach Connection via the inter-cluster trunk.

Thanks,

Doug Rufalo

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the reply. Yes both unity servers host each CUCM clusters seperately. So cluster 1 is hosted by UCv8 and cluster 2 hosted by unity v5. We want to phase out unity v5 and get cluster 2 to point to  UCv8 as well. The CUCM clusters 1 & 2 will remain segregated.

is there a simple way to test connectivity without breaking the existing setup in cluster 2? i.e setup or move over a few user xt to test?

thanks

Mus

Changing an existing port config will cause the integration to restart, so there will be an interruption. I assume you are using all ports in the current Unity Connection integration. If not, you can create a second integration to the other cluster with available ports and test away.

thanks - yes we are currently using all the ports in the UC8. Im thinking its best to create a new set of ports for the second integration and keep it seperate. What do you think? Also do we have to create duplicate ports on both CUCMs?

Yes, the 2nd set of ports would be unique from the current set. If the clusters are connected via intercluster trunk there would be no need to create duplicate ports on both clusters.

Thanks,

Doug

thanks  - we performed the migration over the weekend. We created a new Phone system to reflect the second cluster, created a new port group in UC8. Removed all the old VM ports and created a fresh set in 2nd CUCM cluster. Also created new MWI, hunt list/line group and hunt pilots. Seems to be working correctly over ICT.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: