cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Creating a new user CUCM 10.5.2

nevilledenness1
Level 1
Level 1

Okay so this is pretty basic I agree but can anyone advise me or point me in the right direction on how to add a new end point user in Call Manager 10.5? Telephone extension, staff name, device profile that sort of thing.

The partner that installed the system has kindly provided a video of a web ex session we had on How to add a new user but the only problem is its about 2 hours long and we are still without a clear procedure on how to do it.

A simple basic step by step guide is all that is required.  Any more information about our system and version can be provided on request.

Thanks in advance.

6 Replies 6

keglass
Level 7
Level 7

Neville,

I am not sure if this will help you, but it could be a good place to start. The document description says it applies to CUCM 10.5, as well.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/telepresence/endpoint/ce80/administerting-endpoints-running-ce80-on-ucm-1101.pd…

Please post back to this thread if this doesn't work for you.

Hope this helps.

Kelli Glass

Moderator for Cisco Customer Communities

Thanks Keli

This is helpful to a certain degree however the information I see from following your link covers absoloutly everything to do with a CUCM instal, set up and configure.  I'm looking for some basic steps to add a new member of staff to the system, even the tab on your link 'Endpoint Configuration' is information over load.

Nev

The truth is that it's pretty painful adding new users, without something like Cisco Prime Collaboration Provisioning in place (which in itself is painful to setup to make it ready) to help.

You can either manually go through adding the End User (this may be done automatically if you have LDAP syncing), adding the Device Profile, and it's extension, and then editing the End User to link it with the Device Profile, or you can use the Bulk Administration to instead import in CSV files of the users you're adding.

The later option is preferable even if you only have one user, as there is less margin for error with updating some spreadsheets than there is when following a long list of different fields to set.

You basically need a CSV of your Device Profiles, one of your End User changes (assuming LDAP has physically made the End User account already), and then potentially one for setting Line Appearance if needed, and one for any CSF soft phones if you're using Jabber and want the user to be able to use your computer for calls. You import and apply the Device Profile and CSF devices first, then update the End User, then do any line appearances.

Actually creating these in the first place is a bit of a pain, I suggest exporting out some of your existing Device Profiles, and End Users to get the format, and just remove any columns that are not relevant to keep it as simple as possible.

I agree with Benjamin on this one.  The term 'creating a new user' can vary on difficulty depending on what is assumed to be needed in order to create the user. So by setting up an LDAP synch that creates the LDAP user in UCM is the easiest way to create the user.  If that user also needs devices (phone or Jabber or EM profile), then each of those will need to be created also.  That is where BAT comes in handy. 

Cisco Prime Provisioning can automate much of this process, but as mentioned above, the work required to install and set up Prime Provisioning may take longer than actually creating the users manually.  But it all depends on how many users will need to be added as to which path you take.

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Technical Marketing Engineer

bradleywegner
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Neville,

This is something I do with a lot of frequency.  Let's presume that you are creating a new user from scratch without LDAP integration for arguments sake. 

1. Logon to your CUCM with an Administrative account

2. Navigate to User Management --> End User  at the top of the page click Add New

3. Create the following under the heading "User Information": User ID, Password, PIN, Last Name.  The other boxes are optional, feel free to add as much information as you would like, or are required to by your organization.

4. If you are using IM and Presence complete the information in the "Service Settings" section.

5. At this point you have enough to click SAVE to save the user. 

6. If you are adding the user to a phone, you can do that on the Device --> Phone page.  There you can search for or add a Phone.  From there you may assign a Directory Number to the phone etc. 

CUCM is a very powerful solution with tons of configuration options, so you may have to do some digging to find out what you want to do, and then search how to do it.  Don't be afraid to watch a couple free videos on the web.  Some are higher quality than you may expect.

Hope this helps,

Brad Wegner

Many thanks Brad.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: