Views
Helpful
Replies

CUC 11.5.1 > CUC 12.5 Vmware Compatibility

JonesR
Level 1
Level 1

Good Afternoon All,

I have been reading the release and upgrade documents for this upgrade. I just wanted to check that the Virtual machine needs to be at Compatibility version 13 before upgrading the inactive partition? 

Also if the upgrade is applied to the inactive partition, and then left for a week what would the implications be to voicemails received during that time?

If that is a yes, will CUC cope if i upgraded VM Compat from 7 (Current) to 13?

Many thanks,

RJones

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I would recommend you to change the VM configuration for compatibility before you have upgraded to the new version. This is because there is also a requirement to change the guest OS on the VM to CentOS-7. This change should per guidelines be done prior to the upgrade. Worth knowing is that the upgrade from 11 to 12 on CUC will not do the upgrade on the inactive partition. It will run directly on the active partition. So you would not actually do a switch version to activate 12. If you do a switch version after the upgrade completes you’d switch back to the 11 version. I experienced this first hand last year when we upgraded our systems to 12.5.

This is documented in the upgrade guide.

Response Signature

View solution in original post

@JonesR wrote:

Morning Roger,

I have been reading this document.

Once again read it again, and I think I understand it will be a RU not a SU as the OS is still using Redhat. 

Due to this then it will upgrade the active Partition due to the OS upgrade as well as the CUC. Nice.

This part of the referenced document is the applicable pieces.

10.x.x/11.x.x or later to 12.5(1) or later

Note 

For 10.0(1) to 12.5(1), you must follow an intermediate upgrade path. Example: 10.0(1) to 11.x or later and then 11.x or later to 12.5(1)

• You need the following COP file before performing this upgrade:

• ciscocm.cuc_upgrade_12_0_v1.2.k3.cop.sgn

• The new version is installed on the active partition. During RU, switch version is performed automatically.

Note

If you are upgrading Unity Connection from any earlier version to release 12.5(1), you must change the Guest Operating System before upgrade.

Also check the details in the OVA readme file CUCSRSV_12.5_v1.0.ova.README_Rev1.txt 

Response Signature

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

arcaidy
Level 1
Level 1

I don't understand the question about virtual machine compatibility version.

Upgrades to the inactive partition only include voicemail and configurations from that time and before. Anything new will not be there when you swap versions. For example, if you waited a week you would not have any of that weeks voicemail or system changes.
If you have single inbox enabled this might not be an issue since the voicemails will be in their email. Anyone not using that though would lose any voicemails that came in during that week.
You could use COBRAS to back up the messages and then restore them. But I think you'd be better off during a new upgrade and then switching versions as quickly as possible afterwards.

Thanks,
James Coffey

I would recommend you to change the VM configuration for compatibility before you have upgraded to the new version. This is because there is also a requirement to change the guest OS on the VM to CentOS-7. This change should per guidelines be done prior to the upgrade. Worth knowing is that the upgrade from 11 to 12 on CUC will not do the upgrade on the inactive partition. It will run directly on the active partition. So you would not actually do a switch version to activate 12. If you do a switch version after the upgrade completes you’d switch back to the 11 version. I experienced this first hand last year when we upgraded our systems to 12.5.

This is documented in the upgrade guide.

Response Signature

Morning Roger,

Once again read it again, and I think I understand it will be a RU not a SU as the OS is still using Redhat. 

Due to this then it will upgrade the active Partition due to the OS upgrade as well as the CUC. Nice.

When did this change to Cent-OS 12?

Thank you for your insight saved me a headache 

@JonesR wrote:

When did this change to Cent-OS 12?

From 12.5 the OS for CVOS is CentOS 7 64-bit and you set this on the VM before you start the upgrade.

Response Signature

@JonesR wrote:

Morning Roger,

This part of the referenced document is the applicable pieces.

10.x.x/11.x.x or later to 12.5(1) or later

Note 

For 10.0(1) to 12.5(1), you must follow an intermediate upgrade path. Example: 10.0(1) to 11.x or later and then 11.x or later to 12.5(1)

• You need the following COP file before performing this upgrade:

• ciscocm.cuc_upgrade_12_0_v1.2.k3.cop.sgn

• The new version is installed on the active partition. During RU, switch version is performed automatically.

Note

If you are upgrading Unity Connection from any earlier version to release 12.5(1), you must change the Guest Operating System before upgrade.

Also check the details in the OVA readme file CUCSRSV_12.5_v1.0.ova.README_Rev1.txt 

Response Signature

Hi Roger,

Apologies hopefully the last one, maybe, so when you upgraded from 11.5 to 12.5. 

Did you upgrade CUC first then when the upgrade was a complete shutdown and do the VMware changes?

In which order did you do the steps to get this upgrade done? I am guessing once CUC reboots if its the wrong OS on the VM side it just will fail to boot correctly as it will not be set to cent os?

Many thanks

We set the OS to CentOS prior to starting the upgrade as that is what the upgrade guide says. This might sound odd as at this time the OS on the VM would still be Redhat, but it won't actually fail to boot even if guest OS is set to something different that what it's really runs. I'm not an expert in VMware, so I don't actually know exactly what the guest OS setting on the VM does.

Response Signature

I have a smilar issue for our CUCM upgrade procedure ffom 10.5.2 to 12.5.1su1 I can not seee Centos 7 64 bit there is only Centos 5/5/6 64 bit available How can I upgrade Centos 7 64 Guest OS Type ?

Thanks

You have to change the VM hardware compatibility on the VM to a version that includes Centos 7 in the list of select able guest OS.

Response Signature

Hi Roger, My problem is that Centos 7 is not available in drop/down list so Its appear only Centos 4/5/6 64 bit

Hi BEG_Tal,

What you need to do here is change the Virtual machine compatibility to Version 13 then this will give you the option for Centos 7.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.vm_admin.doc/GUID-AE539AD0-CAE9-4FE9-AD42-00DBA542ED4F.html

Good Luck.

Thanks  all of your answer after changing hw version now I can able to see Centos 7 64 bit.

If you change the VM hardware compatibility to a higher version then the one you currently have you will get the option to set Centos 7. This has been asked and answer in this thread already.

Response Signature

Hi Roger,

I have one question after reading your explanation in the comment. 

If the CUC will upgrade and run directly on active partition, it will automatically switch the version after upgrade was completed. 

How to stop this from happening as I have another CUC (Subscriber) which was not upgrade yet until publisher was completed.

Do I need to upgrade publisher and subscriber at the same time so when they came up will able to join each other and replicate the database? or I can split the upgrade between publisher (until it was done) and upgrade the subscriber (after that will need do manual replication)?

Thank you for your advice and assistance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: