Views
Helpful
Replies

CUC 11.5.1 > CUC 12.5 Vmware Compatibility

JonesR
Level 1
Level 1

Good Afternoon All,

I have been reading the release and upgrade documents for this upgrade. I just wanted to check that the Virtual machine needs to be at Compatibility version 13 before upgrading the inactive partition? 

Also if the upgrade is applied to the inactive partition, and then left for a week what would the implications be to voicemails received during that time?

If that is a yes, will CUC cope if i upgraded VM Compat from 7 (Current) to 13?

Many thanks,

RJones

20 Replies 20

You should upgrade your Publisher first and when it completes you’ll do the Subscriber. Once both are completed you’ll need to restart each of them, starting with the Pub, then when it’s up and all services have started you’ll continue with the Sub. There should be no need to do any manual synchronisation.

Response Signature

Hi Roger, 

Thanks for your advice.

Which means that it does not matter when the CUC Publisher and Subscriber's version does not match in active partition or might have any split-brain occurred when both was running in different version?

Once I completed the upgrade and restart both Publisher follow by Subscriber and the replication should take place by its own. 

Thank you.

That is correct.

Response Signature

I have this same issue. I am upgrading from CUC version 11.5 to version 12.5. The problem is that there seems to be some contradiction in the advice being given. The Unity Connection 12.5 upgrade documentation says "(Applicable for Unity Connection 12.5(1) and later) Ensure that the virtual machine has ESXi 6.5 U2 and VM version 13." Our VM shows that it is still "ESXi 5.0 virtual machine" which when looking at this chart from VMWare (https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1003746) means that we are running VM version 8. It is also recommended to modify the VM's Guest OS to CentOS 7 (64-bit) prior to upgrading to CUC 12.5. The only problem is that if you aren't running a newer VM version, you don't even get the option for CentOS 7 presented when modifying the Guest OS. All you get is "CentOS 4/5 or later (64-bit)." No granted, it does say "or later" in that, but I have found that the VM throws the warning "The configured guest OS (CentOS 4/5 or later (64-bit)) for this virtual machine does not match the guest that is currently running (CentOS 7 (64-bit))."

So, unless I update the VM version I am not presented with the option of CentOS 7. Some Cisco UC compatibility documentation suggests not to upgrade VM versions unless there is a specific need to do so due to the nature of what it does and the inherent risk. I'm seeking further clarification from TAC, but this sure seems to be an area of confusion that isn't well documented.

Personally I've never seen any issue with changing the VM compatibility levels on any of our many VMs running various UC services. As you say you won't get the option to set it to CentOS 7 if the VM is not set to a high enough VM compatibility level.

Response Signature

Did you get an answer from TAC regarding this? 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: