Views
Helpful
Replies

CUC DRS

Carl Ratcliffe
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Support Community

I have been reviewing backups taken from CUC ( 4 clusters ) and I have read the Cisco docs but im still a little unclear on what the correct backup configuration is.

Correct me if im wrong but backups on CUCM are configured on the Publisher and you just select UCM and/or CDR_CAR and this will take a backup for each server in the cluster ??

On CUC you have to individually configure backups on both the Publisher and Subscriber server and the Cisco docs state the below, what is the benefit of backing up the subscriber and would you be safe to not backup the subscriber ? I currently have 2 clusters that backup both subscriber and publisher and 2 that just backup the publisher.

"When a Cisco Unity Connection cluster is configured, we recommend that you back up the publisher server and, optionally, the subscriber server"

Thanks, Carl Ratcliffe

Preston-Lancashire-England

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Mate,

Yes I have checked various environments, we are backing up all components for CUC clusters everywhere(some I have installed and some are done by third parties including Cisco Advanced Services)

Technically I believe things like database etc can be restored by replication. But since you need to setup DRS independently for the sub server, its best to follow pro-active approach and backup all components rather than being selective.

I hope that helps.

Please rate all helpful posts and mark thread as answered if you have no other queries.

-Terry

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Carl,

Your understanding is correct on CUCM. The DRS backups are configured only on the CUCM Pub and it backs up all the subs as well.

For CUC in cluster mode, we backup both. I would say to be on safe side do backup both the pub and the sub. Just keep the backups in different directories.

-Terry

Hi Terry

Thanks for your response. Do you backup all of the options on the Subscriber or just some of them as the Messages takes up quite a lot of space so taking on both the Publisher and Subscriber means double the storage, all messages are replicated so would there be a need for this option on both ? Im trying to understand what information would be on 1 server and not the other apart from things like locales.

CONNECTION_DATABASE  
CONNECTION_GREETINGS_VOICENAMES  
CONNECTION_MESSAGES_UNITYMBXDB1  
CUC

Thanks, Carl Ratcliffe

Hi Mate,

Yes I have checked various environments, we are backing up all components for CUC clusters everywhere(some I have installed and some are done by third parties including Cisco Advanced Services)

Technically I believe things like database etc can be restored by replication. But since you need to setup DRS independently for the sub server, its best to follow pro-active approach and backup all components rather than being selective.

I hope that helps.

Please rate all helpful posts and mark thread as answered if you have no other queries.

-Terry

Also note there is a BUG ID for this as well:CSCts22450

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCts22450/?referring_site=ss

The status is terminated and no planned fix for this. The above describes why we need to back it up separately from each server.

-Terry

Thanks Terry,  excellent information. 

Carl Ratcliffe 

You are welcome Carl - glad that helped.

See you around

-Terry