cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUC Version 8.6.2.21900-5 - Can't revert publisher to Primary

Jordan Rudess
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone, in my second issue I ran into this weekend (bad luck?) while trying to backup a VM of our CUC Publisher. I gracefully shut down the publisher and made my backup, when I brought it back up the Primary server status switched to our subscriber, which I imagine is normal. When I try to click on the "Make Primary" button for the Publisher I get a message stating: "Server cucpub is inactive or changing state. Activate the server or wait for a  stable state before performing any operations." The server is activated so I guess it's not in a stable state yet for some reason. Any ideas on what I should check for next?

Thanks,

Jordan

4 Replies 4

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Jordan,

May I ask why you are shutting down your publisher to perform backups? You ought to backup both publisher and subscriber node. I saw your post on the Presence issue too that you ran into by shutting down one of your nodes...Is there a reason for shuting a node down to perform backup

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Please rate all useful posts

I'm only shutting it down to grab a backup of the actual "Virtual Machine". I do the other normal disaster recovery backups (on both nodes) on a schedule (no shutdowns obviously). Sorry if I was unclear in  my original post.

Hi Jordan,

Can you provide the output for:

show cuc cluster status

utils diagnose test

utils service list

Please provide the above from both primary and secondary servers.

--
Regards,
Harmit.

Hey everyone, sorry I'm late coming back to this but I wanted to come back to post this was fixed by simply restarting the subscriber per TAC recommendation. Once I did this I was able to make the publisher Primary again. TAC also recommended always bring the publisher and subscriber gracefully (one at a time), not just one of them, when doing these kind of backups. I was originally told when making VM backups I only needed to grab the Publisher - which is why I was doing it this way, but apparently I need to do both which is fine .

Thanks,

Jordan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: