cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 10.5 - Partition Explanation

DemPackets
Level 1
Level 1

So I setup some monitoring tools to monitor the partitions on my CUCMs. Unfortunately I've come to the realization that the partitions I am monitoring are not the ones I should be super concerned about. Through SNMP I am able to pull statistics on disk space for the following:

• /dev/sda1
  • /dev/sdb1
  • /dev/sdc1

Does anyone know what exactly those partitions are? Does anyone know a better way for me to monitor the active, inactive, and logging partitions on my CUCMs? I actually ran into an issue about 6 months ago that completely nerfed my Dev CUCM (VMware logging issue) and I don't want the same issue to occur without me knowing in my production environment. Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I guess it is already solved. Anyway maybe you hit one of these two BUGs.
CSCux90747
CSCuz50894
In this case vmware-caf logs can consuming 100% of the active root partition.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can run the command "show tech runtime disk" to get more detail on the partitions and current usage

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

I tried that command. What's interesting is that /dev/sda1 appears but /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdc1 don't appear. I'd really like to know what those partitions are or rather, what CUCM is doing with those partitions. 

I guess it is already solved. Anyway maybe you hit one of these two BUGs.
CSCux90747
CSCuz50894
In this case vmware-caf logs can consuming 100% of the active root partition.

Sanjay Khurana
Level 1
Level 1

The disk names in Linux are alphabetical. /dev/sda is the first hard drive (the primary master), /dev/sdb is the second etc. The numbers refer to partitions, so /dev/sda1 is the first partition of the first drive.

If you want to see the current status of the partitions you can run "show status' the output will be like:

admin:show status

Host Name : CUCM
Date : Wed Jun 15, 2016 16:48:03
Time Zone : Timor-Leste Time (Asia/Dili)
Locale : en_US.UTF-8
Product Ver : 10.5.2.11900-3
Unified OS Version : 6.0.0.0-2

Uptime:
16:48:05 up 161 days, 9:39, 1 user, load average: 0.23, 0.21, 0.19

CPU Idle: 94.43% System: 02.03% User: 03.29%
IOWAIT: 00.25% IRQ: 00.00% Soft: 00.00%

Memory Total: 3925456K
Free: 105708K
Used: 3819748K
Cached: 590456K
Shared: 0K
Buffers: 38328K

Total Free Used
Disk/active 14652904K 1862188K 12641848K (88%)
Disk/inactive 14652904K 13741144K 167416K (2%)
Disk/logging 50986188K 28181044K 20215192K (42%)

It will show you the current state of the partitions. Some of the alerts are preconfigured in the system like:

LogPartitionHighWaterMarkExceeded

LogPartitionLowWaterMarkExceeded

LowActivePartitionAvailableDiskSpace

LowAvailableVirtualMemory

LowInactivePartitionAvailableDiskSpace

LowSwapPartitionAvailableDiskSpace

So you can monitor RTMT for these alerts and if you want can configure RTMT to send these alerts to an email

HTH

Sanjay

I understand the Linux side of things. I understand how the partitions are named and why they are named that way. I more or less want to know, what is the CUCM system writing to those specific drives. The reason being is that I only have 7% free space left on those drives and it's slowly creeping up daily. 

DemPackets
Level 1
Level 1

Yeah. I appreciate the direct bug link though. This issue completely nerfed my dev environment and what's terrible is that Cisco didn't even offer to help me rebuild it. I actually just recently put together a SOW to get our VAR who originally setup the dev environment to come back out and build it up again new. The dev environment works, but I can't add any new phones or do anything that adds space to the system and I haven't been able to do a successful back up for about a year or so. Restoring the current configuration will not be possible as it is only a single UCM server.

Fortunately, I caught the issue in production before I lost access to the SSH session so Cisco TAC was able to help prevent our production environment from crapping out. I only lost one subscriber, which was easy enough to rebuild.