Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 10.5 phones not registering to subscriber

Ajin Skariah
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have added a subscriber server to an existing CUCM Pub ver 10.5, activated the services, added to the call manager group with priority to the subscriber server and reset all devices. After reset, only a handful of phones got registered to subscriber server while majority of phones are registered to publisher only. I restarted the publisher server and those phones which were registered to publisher server got unregistered and registered back again to publisher when it came back up. What might be the issue?. I checked dbreplication and is working fine. Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ajin Skariah.

28 Replies 28

Hi Ajin,

Are you sure you factor reset the phone using the method mentioned in document.

can you also get the following for us along with pcap after factory reset as Jamie mentioned?

tftp -i tftpserveripaddress get SEP<macaddress>.cnf.xml

Regards,

Adarsh Chauhan

Please rate and mark correct if helpful
Regards,
Adarsh Chauhan

Hi Adarsh,

Yes, I have reset the phone as mentioned in the document only.

I'll get the pcap when I visit the customer next.

Thanks,

Ajin.

That's the thing, the phones have the right config, you can see that, however, they're not registering to the server. A phone would only use a secondary server if it cannot communicate with the primary server as it's not sending an ACK to the keepalive the phone is sending.

You said db replication is OK, and that's usually one of the things that can cause this.

Aside from some sort of network issue, I could only think of some FW problem, and that's as easy as trying a few different FWs on those phones and see what happens. If you're not running the latest phone FW for the 7940, try upgrading it.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Jaime,

The phones are running on the the latest firmware available.

Hi All,

I am having the same issue, however I noticed when accessing the phone's url - the TFTP server is pointing to the Publisher...can this potentially be the cause?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you,

Diana

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you go to one of those phones that didn't move to the SUB, do you see both servers listed in the CUCM group in the phone itself??

Or you can try to download the .cnf.xml from the phone to confirm if the CUCM group does have both servers??

If it doesn't you might want to rebuild all the TFTP config files.

HTH

java

Hi Jaime,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be visiting the customer again on Sunday only. Meantime can you please tell me how to rebuild the TFTP config files?

Thanks,

Ajin.

OK, you can also see that if the web access is enabled on the device in their webpage, it will list the CUCM servers it has in the config.

To recreate the config files, go to the TFTP service parameters, click advanced and change build CNF files to Build All, then restart the TFTP service and reset the devices.

HTH

java

Hello Jaime,

The CUCM servers are listed on the phone configuration page. Please see the attached. I have tried resetting the phone, restarting the pub and sub servers, still the phones are not registering to sub server. This is driving me crazy!!!

Andrew Skelly
Level 7
Level 7

Did you check the device pool configuration for the phone?  What is the Cisco Unified CM Group set for?  It should have the subscriber listed first and then the publisher (or secondary subscriber if you have more than one on the cluster).

Please rate helpful posts by clicking the thumbs up!

mikeleebrla
Level 1
Level 1

I know this post is old but did you ever find a resolution to this issue?  I'm experiencing the same issue except with 7960s (which is just a 6 line 7940).  All other phone models will register with the Subscriber fine, except 7960s. Any help would be appreciated. 

I also have similar issue on 11.5 CUCM, pls share your feedback..

In my case the root cause was that the IP address of the one of the subscribers was changed at some point. The server's 'name' (found by going to System>Cisco Unified CM) was configured to the original IP so they didn't match.   

You can also check this by going to the CLI and running the command "show ctl" and look for the "DNSNAME" field.

I found this by going to the 7960 and attempting to hard code an Alternate TFTP server to the one that it wouldn't register to....whenever I attempted to save it it threw the error "TFTP not in CTL".  So essentially the 7960s wouldn't trust the CTL since the "DNS Name" didn't match.

Thanks.. My issues get resolved after cluster restarting..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: