Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 11.5 Installation Process Outline?

bwolf
Level 1
Level 1

Hey All,

While trying to migrate my CUCM 9.1 cluster to a new 11.5 cluster, I kept failing on the 4th of 4 subscribers during the installation using PCD.  Logs showed "DNS unreachable" if I ignored it, it would go on to say that my new publisher isn't the 1st node and the installation would fail.  Eventually TAC suggested to just try to manually install the last subscriber, which I tried and got the same result

Well, we figured out that there was no ARP entry generated for the VM I was attempting to install on, which lead to my Windows team figuring out the ESXi hosts had no connectivity to the network (it's out at a new site, they were still working out some kinks).

My question though is, when I was going through the manual installation and entered hostname, ip address, subnet and gateway, why did the installer not fail at this point since it wouldn't possibly be able to find or connect to the VM I'm attempting to install on?  The installer just moved on and had me put in DNS info, which is where it would ultimately fail.  I'm just looking for some documentation, or explanation of what the process of the installer is?  Does it not do a network check right after I enter all the network info? It just uses that info later?

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
If you are talking about the point in the installer where you give the network details for CUCM itself, I don't think it does a network check at this point. It will allow you to go forward, add DNS/domain info etc. While installing and before the Platform DB component is installed (if my memory serves right), it does a network check and would halt if there is a network connectivity issue, duplicate IP addressing etc.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
If you are talking about the point in the installer where you give the network details for CUCM itself, I don't think it does a network check at this point. It will allow you to go forward, add DNS/domain info etc. While installing and before the Platform DB component is installed (if my memory serves right), it does a network check and would halt if there is a network connectivity issue, duplicate IP addressing etc.

Thanks!