Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 7/9 silent monitoring calls

Peter Valdes
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I would like to know if there is a way of monitoring (eavesdrop) on a call in CUCM 7 or 9 without using Computer Telephony Integration Object Server (CTIOS) as I read its not the best application to controll call monitoring from a Supervisor desktop user.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/7_0_1/ccmfeat/fsmr.html#wp1047586

Does anyone have any recommendation of a 3rd party application apart from CTIOS? Something that is perfect use as Call Centre but using CUCM?

Thanks

8 Replies 8

Stephen Welsh
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I recommend you try out PhoneView from UnifiedFX (http://www.unifiedfx.com) one of it's many features is 'Remote Audio' that leverages the IP Phones built-in-bridge. It communicates directly with CUCM, so no dependancy on CTIOS/UCCX/UCCE but it's able to provide silent monitoring capabilities direct to the PC or a desk phone.

This short demo video shows you how it works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL12RWFuNXM

Kind Regards.

Stephen Welsh

Thanks Stephen.

We want to monitor silently and agents IP Phones 7940s registered on CUCM 7-9 without them knowing their calls are being monitored. Can PhoneView do this? PhoneView act as a supervisor and monitor the agents physical IP Phone 7940 without any alerts or messages on the agents IP Phone?

PhoneView can do this, however as it uses the silent monitor feature it requires the IP Phone to have a built-in-bridge, that requires a 7941/7961 or newer IP Phone. The 7940/7960 do not have a built-in-bridge so you can't use this feature on those devices unfortunately.

Thanks

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

I manage to get it working. Thanks for your help.

Is there a way to have this setup as a phone service button? By pressing a button on the phone, it will ask PhoneView to call that supervisor phone and start listening to phones only associated with the end user account?

Thanks

Hi,

The most common problem getting Silent Monitoring to work for any applicaiton are the permissions, just to be clear I'll list them out for future reference:

The CTI User account performing the silent monitoring requires at least the following permissions:

• Device Asssociaiton with all phones/CTI Ports to be monitored/used
  • Standard CTI Allow Control of All Devices or Standard CTI Enabled
  • Standard CTI Allow Call Monitoring

Note: Device Association is usually not required when the "Standard CTI Allow Control of All Devices" permission is used.

Note: There is a known permissions validation issue we have seen with UCM 8.6+ that requires the 'Standard CTI Enabled' permssion to resolve.

Note: On occation when using an End User account for CTI operations and the system has LDAP Integration/Authentication we have seen problems, the resolution is ususally to restart the CTI Manager service.

Note: For the 89xx & 99xx series it's common that the "Standard CTI Allow Control of Phones supporting Rollover Mode" & "Standard CTI Allow Control of Phones supporting Connected Xfer and conf" are required to allow full CTI interaction with those models.

The device/CTI Port performing the monitoring requires:

The DN/Line performing the Silent Monitor (i.e. Supervisor or CTI Port DN) requires the "Monitoring Calling Search Space" set to a CSS that has reachability of the DN's to be monitored (Agents)

Note: This is the one that catches most people out as the setting is hard to find, it's on the bottom of the line configuration page for the relevant Line appearance.

Built-in-Bridge

Silent monitoring for all UCM versions (UCM 6.0+) requires the use of the Phones Build-in-Bridge, this is disabled by default. Once enabled a phone reboot is required for that setting to take effect.

In terms of our product's feature I'll pick that up with you directly.

Kind Regards.

Stephen Welsh

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are a boatload of ecosystem partners who compete in this space. Cisco has even introduced a middlware product called MediaSense which is supposed to capture the audio (and eventually video), store it, and provide APIs to vendors who want to do stuff with it. All of them leverage the same framework built into CUCM which gets the phone to forward a copy of the RTP streams to the recording server. The exception is MediaSense which can also do gateway/trunk-side recording with IOS gateways. The advantage there is that not all endpoints support the built-in-bridge mechanism or may be remote over limited-bandwidth links.

If you want a listing, the developer marketplace is your best bet. Cisco has products from Calabrio and NICE on it's Global Price List but there are at least a dozen others. Pay attention to those who can also get applicable metadata from UCCE (e.g. call type, account number, etc) so that searching is more powerful later on.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Hi Jonathan,

We need a simple solution that does call monitoring. Call recording is one thing that may come up later which I know will consist of another server to store records.

Thanks

Checkout the below discussion link :

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12590151/continuous-silent-call-monitoring-session#comment-10859796

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: