cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 8.5.1 error

Alejandro Perez
Level 1
Level 1

AT SAT DEC 08 16:15:54 CST 2012 ON NODE X.X.X.X, THE FOLLOWING HARDWAREFAILURE EVENTS GENERATED:
HWSTRINGMATCH : DEC 8 16:15:49 CM-SUB DAEMON 4 DIRECTOR AGENT: LSIESG_ALERTINDICATION 500605B0021AF1B0 BBU DISABLED; CHANGING WB VIRTUAL DISKS TO WT SEV: 3.
APPID : CISCO SYSLOG AGENT
CLUSTERID :
NODEID : CM-SUB
TIMESTAMP : SAT DEC 08 16:15:49 CST 2012

what this mean?
thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Alejandro,

BBU = Battery Backup Unit

On MCS-78X5-I3 platforms with LSI Raid controllers the system will run a Battery Backup Unit

learning cycle every 60 days. The system can experience sudden IO performance drop at the beginning

of this cycle and this could impact Callmanager's call processing performance. During this cycle the

Raid Controller's Caching policy is changed from WriteBack to Write Through.

That cycle is a scheduled event to recharge the raid battery.  During  that time, raid cache write-back is disabled as part of normal course to  ensure proper IO.   The battery should discharge and recharge and the  battery cache should re-enable.  Use CLI command 'show hardware status'  to confirm cache is enabled:

Cheers!

Rob

"Celebration it's around us, every nations, all around us.
Singin' forever young, singin' songs underneath that sun" - K'naan

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Alejandro,

BBU = Battery Backup Unit

On MCS-78X5-I3 platforms with LSI Raid controllers the system will run a Battery Backup Unit

learning cycle every 60 days. The system can experience sudden IO performance drop at the beginning

of this cycle and this could impact Callmanager's call processing performance. During this cycle the

Raid Controller's Caching policy is changed from WriteBack to Write Through.

That cycle is a scheduled event to recharge the raid battery.  During  that time, raid cache write-back is disabled as part of normal course to  ensure proper IO.   The battery should discharge and recharge and the  battery cache should re-enable.  Use CLI command 'show hardware status'  to confirm cache is enabled:

Cheers!

Rob

"Celebration it's around us, every nations, all around us.
Singin' forever young, singin' songs underneath that sun" - K'naan

Thanks Rob

i have the alert again and have been only 2 days, how can i fix it?

thanks

+5 to Rob for an awesome explanation as always!

Hi Alejandro,

Like Rob suggested, log into the CLI of the server and run "show hardware". Post it here if you can. Sounds like you will need to have the battery replaced. If this is an MCS server, then open a case with TAC for engaging IBM to replace the faulty battery. Else if you purchased this server directly from IBM, then you need to follow up with your hardware vendor accordingly to do the same.

HTH.

Regards,

Harmit.

Hi Rob and Harmit,

Hope both of you are in good health !

Got a similar alert -- however I am at pains to check where do we check -- cache is enabled on the hardware status -- below are the notepad++ filtered result for the keyword " cache" -- can you please confirm -- if it is amongst one of them.

Line 35: Cache Flush Interval             : 4s

Line 56: Any Offline VD Cache Preserved   : No

Line 126: Default Cache Policy: WriteBack, ReadAheadNone, Direct, No Write Cache if Bad BBU

Line 126: Default Cache Policy: WriteBack, ReadAheadNone, Direct, No Write Cache if Bad BBU

Line 127: Current Cache Policy: WriteBack, ReadAheadNone, Direct, No Write Cache if Bad BBU

Line 127: Current Cache Policy: WriteBack, ReadAheadNone, Direct, No Write Cache if Bad BBU

Line 129: Disk Cache Policy: Disabled

Line 139: Default Cache Policy: WriteBack, ReadAheadNone, Direct, No Write Cache if Bad BBU

Line 139: Default Cache Policy: WriteBack, ReadAheadNone, Direct, No Write Cache if Bad BBU

Line 140: Current Cache Policy: WriteBack, ReadAheadNone, Direct, No Write Cache if Bad BBU

Line 140: Current Cache Policy: WriteBack, ReadAheadNone, Direct, No Write Cache if Bad BBU

Line 142: Disk Cache Policy: Disabled

Appreciate your response on this.

Whatever level you reach getting better never stops -- Sachin Tendulkar

Whatever level you reach getting better never stops -- Sachin Tendulkar

Jose Colon II
Level 5
Level 5

Hello guys, I am having the same hardware failure event on my I3 box. I read what you guys have suggested and here is the output on the battery section of the "show hardware" command.

Battery Back Up Information:

==========================

BBU status for Adapter: 0

BatteryType: iBBU

Voltage: 4027 mV

Current: 0 mA

Temperature: 30 C

BBU Firmware Status:

Charging Status              : None

Voltage                      : OK

Temperature                  : OK

Learn Cycle Requested        : No

Learn Cycle Active           : No

Learn Cycle Status           : OK

Learn Cycle Timeout          : No

I2c Errors Detected          : No

Battery Pack Missing         : No

Battery Replacement required : No

Remaining Capacity Low       : No

Periodic Learn Required      : No

Battery state:

GasGuageStatus:

Fully Discharged        : No

Fully Charged           : Yes

Discharging             : Yes

Initialized             : Yes

Remaining Time Alarm    : No

Remaining Capacity Alarm: No

Discharge Terminated    : No

Over Temperature        : No

Charging Terminated     : No

Over Charged            : No

Relative State of Charge: 98 %

Charger System State: 49168

Charger System Ctrl: 0

Charging current: 0 mA

Absolute state of charge: 50 %

Max Error: 2 %

Exit Code: 0x00

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you guys see anything wrong here ?

Thanks Jose

Hi Jose,

No, that looks pretty good. Just keep an eye on things

Cheers!

Rob

"When it comes to luck you make your own  " 

- Springsteen

Thanks Rob.

Apprecaite the quick response

Jose