Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 8.6 Error refresh upgrade failed

eeelizondo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi experts,

We have a problem with an upgrade from CUCM and Presence from 8.6 to 11, in Component Install, Installing Database component, on ítem 6 of 6, in 3% we have this error: error refresh upgrade failed, error detected in post-install phase.

I have installed before the upgrade:

ciscocm.version3-keys.cop.sgn

ciscocm.free_common_space_v1.1.cop.sgn

Change the network adapter to vmxnet3

Change the operating system to red hat 6 64 bits

I have checked  logs on active and inactive version, I have changed my ntp stratum to best practices, I dont have dialrules installed and we dont find any other error on logs.

I found this on logs:

IPM Internal Error, File:ipm.c:2011, Function: ipmReadNormalizedInputLine (), ¨/usr/local/cm/script/cm-dbl-install RU PostInstall 11.0.1.20000-2 8.6.2.20000-2 /usr/local/cm/common/component/database/common /log/install/capture.txt¨ failed (1)

I have read that there are problems migrating:

Dialrules

Problem with route patterns

Problems with default names of VCS Sip Profile for VCS

Problems with users

Some users erase all that config and problem persists, others open tac cases and spent weeks trying to resolve it. I have not erased or changed any of this, but is there a way to corroborate on logs that this could be the problem?

I have thinked in:

Change the iso installer
Upgrade to 10.5 before 11
Install and probe PCD

And at the end open a TAC Case

All this options are good but it would be nice to see if any of you have another idea, or have similar problems.

Cheers and thany you for your help!

6 Replies 6

Deepak Rawat
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please note that upgrading from 8.6 to 11 is a Refresh Upgrade and hence you will need to install RU cop file as well that I believe you have not based on your description at least.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/11_0_1/CUCM_BK_U97537E5_00_upgrade-guide-cucm_1101/Upgrade_process.html

Regards

Deepak

Thank you very much Deepak,

The CUCM 11 disk before the upgrade ask for automatic installation of refresh upgrade, its part of the upgrade, in fact the problem is in the refresh upgrade installation  :S

Nope, that's wrong, it is indeed a RU because you change the RHEL version, but you DO NOT require a COP file, the README for that COP file clearly says that it's only applicable if you're going from 8.5 OR PREVIOUS to 8.6 or later.

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/CUCM_Upgrades_and_Migrations_FAQ#What_COP_files_do_I_need.3F.3F

I also show that it's not required in my upgrade video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml_z4YUgsBw&list=PLFuOESqSTxEvZChqWgAJanctohRMe99CR&index=11

To the OP, you'll need to actually read the logs to pinpoint what the issue is, the error on the blue screen is not descriptive enough to tell you what is wrong.

PCD is an option, I recommend 11 as 10.5 releases were quite buggy.

Unless you got a bad MD5 checksum, the image should be fine, if this as error with something in the config or in the DB, it will most likely be the same if you try 10.5

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thank you javalenc  

Do you have any suggestion of what logs to see? I have searched in the logs but I didnt find anything important.

I also dont want to use 10.5, 11 version show the file verification succesful, in fact I use the embeded iso in the BE7K server datastore.

Thanks in advance!

You need to review the installation logs, the dump that you get after the error to find out exactly what might be causing the error.

As you mention, there are many things that can cause errors during the upgrade, and you can only find out the root cause with the logs.

Otherwise, the alternative would be PCD, and even that way, I'm not sure if it would not error out.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Have you resolved your problem. I have the same.. Any resolution? Fist of I was have ccm 8.6 BE6K. I have installed a new one and used BAT tool to transfer my configs. And after that I have the same problem on upgrade to 11.5, 11.0 and 10.0. Any help was appreciated.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: