cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 8.6 Promote Subscriber To Publisher in Pub/Sub 2 Server Environment

chriswhite0606
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question regarding swapping Pub and Sub Roles on CUCM 8.6.. Here's the situation. We have to move our equipment out of a data center where our Publisher is located. We have a Subscriber in another city.

We would like to promote the Subscriber to Publisher and Demote the Publisher to Subscriber in the meantime (Before) the move. I understand that in order to do so, we would need to reload the software on the Subscriber and designate it as the Publisher, will we need to do the same with the active Publisher? Or will it automatically demote to Subscriber once the new Publisher comes online? What happens to that device during this timeframe?

Thanks

Chris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Well, as you mention, there is really no way to change the role of a server, that's a one time kind of deal, and you only get the option during installation.

You CANNOT have two PUBs running in the same cluster, NEVER.

Basically, what you're looking at, is to rebuild BOTH servers from scratch, and then choose the role you want.

so, NO, it will not automagically turn your PUB into a SUB.

You would need to turn the SUB into the PUB, while taking the old PUB offline, then once that's done, reconnect and reinstall the old PUB as a SUB.

Make sure to read, and fully understand the DRS procedures this will require before doing anything.

Bear in mind that without a PUB, no changes can be done to the config, so, during that timeframe, you won't be able to do anything via GUI.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Well, as you mention, there is really no way to change the role of a server, that's a one time kind of deal, and you only get the option during installation.

You CANNOT have two PUBs running in the same cluster, NEVER.

Basically, what you're looking at, is to rebuild BOTH servers from scratch, and then choose the role you want.

so, NO, it will not automagically turn your PUB into a SUB.

You would need to turn the SUB into the PUB, while taking the old PUB offline, then once that's done, reconnect and reinstall the old PUB as a SUB.

Make sure to read, and fully understand the DRS procedures this will require before doing anything.

Bear in mind that without a PUB, no changes can be done to the config, so, during that timeframe, you won't be able to do anything via GUI.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thank you very much Jaime for clarifying this for me. I will make sure that I contact my Cisco Acct Mgr and work with them to accomplish this.

Have a Great Evening Sir.