cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 8.6 sluggish

Wayne Ficklin
Level 1
Level 1

It takes 45seconds to a minute requesting anything on the web front end.

The command-line is snappy but:

admin:show process load cpu

top - 14:27:29 up 114 days, 15:19,  1 user,  load average: 0.83, 1.07, 1.22

Tasks: 177 total,   1 running, 176 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie

Cpu(s):  6.3%us,  1.5%sy,  0.0%ni, 92.0%id,  0.1%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.1%si,  0.0%st

Mem:   6097688k total,  5887740k used,   209948k free,    56864k buffers

Swap:  2064280k total,   735248k used,  1329032k free,   693292k cached

PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND           

1878 tomcat    17   0 1475m 973m  18m S 104.6 16.4  18377:47 tomcat

I see there's a command, "admin:utils diagnose module tomcat".  Does anyone know if this is disruptive to a production system?  Does restarting the service from the web frontend cause a service interruption to anything other than the web frontend?

11 Replies 11

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unless someone is trying to log into EM or any other stuff that requires the web service at that exact moment, you can safely restart Tomcat. If you meant if it will drop calls or something like that, no it won't.

What HW do you have??

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

What kind of interaction does the Tomcat service have with users in UCCX, rather, ...what effect would restarting Tomcat on CUCM have on users w/ UCCX?

Also, we're running this in a UCS VM, tho I can't say specifically how much Virtual hardware we've thrown at this host.

I've seen that kind of issues when using more CPU/RAM on the VMs compared to what the server really has.

Are you using the CUCM OVAs, unchanged???

It should be reserving all the RAM to avoid this kind of behavior.

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

nikshah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Cna you run the following command

utils diagnose test and see if you are getting any errors for tomcat/memory sessions etc like

tomcat_memory,
tomcat_connectors

Also run the command show process using-most (cpu/memory) and see if tomcat is at the top of it

Also are you running any axl integrations with callmanager  that could be polling the cucm db via the axl api interface.

incase if diagnose test generates an errors kindly gather the tomcat logs located at

file get activelog tomcat/logs/*

Hope this helps
Niket

MBO46
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Have you any news on this problem?

Have you find a way to correct it?

I have the same problem on version 8.6.2.21900-5 where the tomcat service take 98% of CPU.

I have to restart this service at workaround for the moment.

Best regards,

Matthieu

snooter
Level 1
Level 1

Curious if there's any update on this?  I'm seeing the same thing, almost every month I have to go in and restart the tomcat service "utils restart service Cisco Tomcat".  I've got a nagios deal in place that monitors the https response time for me, and when the tomcat hits 95% CPU and stays there the warnings start piling in.  The tomcat issue affects our attendant console users when this happens and the tomcat isn't restarted.  Strange thing is, it's only our publisher that see's the CPU spikes.  The subscriber is fine..

hey snooter,

I believe you are hitting

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCty36110

the fix is available in 8.6(2.22900.9) if you upgrade you shall have a permanent fix.

Hope this helps

Niket

Thanks nik, that bug looks to be it..  I'll get the update installed and report back IF it does NOT fix the issue.

Hello Everyone,

I hope You  are doing well, may be this will help, I'm trying to hit the bug on the  currently installed 8.6.1.20000-1 before proceeding with the upgrade to  the 8.6.2.22900-9 as a Proof of concept for our customer, we have tens  of servers to Upgrade in 4 clusters, so it's a long way to go, I'm  trying to ask Cisco TAC to help me to regenerate the issue on the LAB we  created specially for it, if You would like, I can tell You the results  of the LAB results. (it would be nice if You have any ideas or  scenarios to try to regenerate the issue, I'm trying to perform  excessive AXL communications with 2000 users between a CUCM and a Cisco  Unity Connection)

We have another customer who faced the same issue and it was resolved with the 8.6.2.22900-9.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Muhammad

Hello all,

I was also having similar issue with 8.6.2a , it got fixed after uprading to 8.6(2.22900.9).

Thanks

John

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: