cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 8.6 upgrade to CUCM 11 Process Step by Step?

ahmedzone
Level 5
Level 5

I am going to upgrade to CUCM 8.6 (UCS210M2 ) to CUCM 11.0 (BE7K) through Refresh Upgrade.

License Requirement:

As I will found Cisco License Count Utility I will fetch license data and share with Cisco Team for DLUs to UCL/CUWL conversion.

Action Plan:

Step1: DRS Backup of all server.

Step2: Installation of  8.6 software(CUCM,CUC,IM/P)  then install fresh Server CUCM  8.6 on my new UCS BE7000M4.

and then  Restore Backup on New  CUCM 8.6 on UCS BE7000M4 Server and check all third party integration.

Step3: Installation of 11.0 Upgradation software(CUCM,CUC,IM/P)  on newly built  CUCM 8.6 (UCS BE7K)and check all third party integration.

Step 4: After verification of all application behavior I will replace new hardware with Old UCSC210M2 in data center.

Now my Question are?

1) Is I need any extra COPS file except upgrade file only?

2) What will be procedure for upgrade first  will update all PUB(CUCM,CUC,IM/P)?

3)Most important when I install new CUCM 8.6 on new hardware which OVA template I use 8.6 OVA or 11.0?

4)Is we need to upgrade IP Phone Versions?

18 Replies 18

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

See here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml_z4YUgsBw&index=10&list=PLFuOESqSTxEvZChqWgAJanctohRMe99CR

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/CUCM_Upgrades_and_Migrations_FAQ#What_COP_files_do_I_need.3F.3F

Now, you need to do your due diligence as I explain in the video, and thoroughly read

A) Upgrade guide for each product

B) Release notes

Answer to Q1 and Q2, are contained in the above docs.

A3: You use the OVA from the version you're going to be installing

A4: That's up to you, if you want to upgrade them, or not. If you want to upgrade them to the same version as 11.0, you can do it before the upgrade to avoid bottlenecks in your TFTP.

As an alternative, you can use PCD (there's a video on that in the same playlist) and use COBRAS to migrate directly into a fresh 11.x CUC install (review COBRAS help on exactly what IS migrated and what is NOT migrated).

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Dear Jaime,

Thanks for your detail answer but regarding Q3 still confusion If I will install 8.6 ova then when I install upgrade of CUCM 11 do I need to enhance memory and hard disk storage of this template again before version upgrade file install?

Also can you tell me exact name of COPs file required for CUCM 8.6 to CUCM 11.0

Because as per my understanding after reading Cisco Document I just need on one Refresh file which will directly upgrade 8.6 to 11.0 Kindly comment.

It's clear you have not watched the video, reviewed the wiki link, or the documentation I told you, because all of what you're asking, is answered there...

HTH

java

I just found this thread. I'm doing a similar upgrade. I have CUCM 8.6.2.25900-8 running on bare metal MCS servers. My plan is to build a new CUCM 8.6 pub and restore my data there. Then I would follow the procedure in the posted video to get to 11.x. Great video BTW.

I see that the VM template is 8.6.1. I'm assuming that I need to deploy this and then upgrade it to version 8.6.2 so it matches what I have now prior to restoring my data. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Patrick

Thanks, no, I think you're confused, the OVA is just the VM specs, it's a blank VM, it will not actually install CUCM 8.6(1), that's just the OVA version.

You deploy the blank VM, then use a CUCM install ISO to actually install the product.

HTH

java

Ahhh. Okay. I get it now. I've not done a CUCM virtual install yet. This makes more sense.

--Patrick

You can tell by the size of the OVA, if it's just some Kbs in size, it's a blank VM.

If it's way larger than that, it probably will install something on the HDDs as they're deployed, like VCS for example.

HTH

java

I did notice that the OVA was pretty small.

What are your thoughts about replacing my physical CUCM pub with a virtual pub (8.6.2) and letting it run that way for a while?

My thoughts are to spread this out over several maintenance windows. The first step would be to get my five node 8.6.2 cluster to the same virtualized version and then upgrade to 11.x from there.

I'm still reading the upgrade docs and release notes. I have to upgrade CUCM, CUPS, UCCX, CUUC, and CER.

You can have a mix of UCS and MCS with no problem, as long as they're supported platforms.

HTH

java

Dear Jaime,

If i have MCS7816I5 CUCM ver 8.6 and i want to upgrade it to ver 11.5

I must buy UCS server or i will continue use my MCS ?

CUCM 10.x+ is virtual only, you need a UCS, or a 3rd party server that meets the specs.

HTH

java

Your videos are awesome, actually helped me to find my way to an upgrade I am planning.

Thanks

I'm glad that you have found my videos to be useful.

HTH

java

Dear Jaime,

Can I copy CUCM 8.6 VM Ware vmx file instead to installing new cucm(8.6)  and then loading backups and then upgrade it to 11.0

I don't have vCenter and vMotion so can I do it by power off the VM machine and copy it and then in new hardware I will upload it to Data store and will add it to inventory.

Your suggestion is required.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: