cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 9.1.2- BAT update owner user ID for licensing

erichidalgo
Level 1
Level 1

We recently upgraded to CUCM v9.1.2 and now are at our SmartNet software renewal. Owner User ID field has not been updated for years. 25,000+  devices. The only thing I can find (and from TAC) is to do a full phone export- all details, modify Owner User ID, then do Insert phones all details and overwrite. This seems very risky, and it appears this is the recommendation. Not to mention the time and CPU power for pulling full detail reports from CUCM. This can't be it, right? Certainly other large customers are having the same issues, right? An ELA is a possible answer, but there are possible monetary restraints there. Any input is appreciated.

6 Replies 6

r.pennington
Level 5
Level 5

There is no easy answer, there was talk of an app that would auto populate based on a list of rules but I haven't seen this in production. There is not much else you can do but do it and keep it maintained, there were many complaints but this is where it ended up at.

Richard

randall66
Level 1
Level 1

I tried it but Excel won't except more then 10 digits in a cell so it corrupts any number greater like 919095556543 for a speed dial or forward.

luchtcm
Level 1
Level 1

Not that it's really any less scary, but you can update via the CLU or AXLAPI.

If you're using Extension Mobility at all, you can update the owner ID based on whoever is logged in: CUCM set device owner ID to EM logged in user ID via SQL | Crystal Clear Insanity.

Here's another example of how to associate a phone with a particular user: http://pandaeatsbamboo.blogspot.com/2014/01/associate-existing-phones-to-users-with.html.

Here's a nice write-up from TAC on your specific issue: License Calculation in CUCM release 9.x+ - Cisco.

Samuel Womack
Level 5
Level 5

Try this little tool I created just for this..

{cisco api series: updating phones with owner user id} | Sam I Am Sam

deeno24881
Level 1
Level 1

I am working through a similar issue - though on an older CUCM (8.6.2) and around 1200 devices. Only reason I am doing this in CUCM 8.6.2 is because I am preparing to go to 10.5x. Instead of setting the owner ID field on all devices and then importing the entire file you could piece meal the file out so that if it goes badly the damage is limited to say 30 phones per file. I am going to be attempting this soon. Might take a bit longer but at least it a) works and b) is relatively safe.

Cheers,

Deen

driz
Level 4
Level 4

When we upgraded from 8.6 to 9.1.2 we had a similar issue. In our case, our users were assigned to devices for CTI control. I wrote a powershell script that leveraged SOAP to send sql commands to all of our clusters. It copied the CTI Controlling user to the license owning user (and changed the flag from anonymous to user). Obviously working directly in the DB like this is risky, but if you familiarize yourself with the data dictionary for your particular version, you can do this simply using the cisco provided AXL toolkit or something else (like powershell)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: