cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM and CME comparision

kechengpc
Level 1
Level 1

CUCM can support more  phone numbers than CME,besides this , what 's difference between them?

5 Replies 5

algreco
Level 1
Level 1

CUCM is a full UC platform,  providing IP Telephony , Mobility and Collaboration services to Enterprise Customers,

CUCME is a full UC solution integrated inside the Cisco ISR targetting SMB customers.

If you want to compare the number of features between the two platforms of course you will have more  UC services on CUCM and maybe a better level of flexibility for each feature, but on CUCME you have not only a UC plaform you have also in a box a Router (Security, WAN, Wireless services ...).

For more interesting  news  I suggest you to keep tuned on 10 NOV, during the UC FY10 launch!

HTH

Alessandro

Thanks. I can't find detail comparision for these two.Where can I find?BTW, most of  users are using CIPC 7 across the Internet, but I see it can't support 'Optimize for low bandwidth' on CMCME from release notes guide. How about this 'Optimize for low bandwidth' function on Voice quality?  

I suppose there is not a document with a comparision between CUCM and CUCME because they target different Markets and have a different proposition, the first is a full UC&C platform for Enterprise Market, while CUCME is an integrated UC platform inside the Cisco IOS for SMB, providing the office in a box proposition thanks to Cisco ISR technology (Data, Security, Wireless, and more, stay tuned with NG ISR 2 launch for more info on this).

CIPC is fully supported on both CUCM and CUCME, the feature  'Optimize for low bandwidth' is not supported today on CUCME, as you see on release notes, this does'n mean it will never be supported, CUCME and CUCM have different roadmaps and depending on Market requirements some feature can be released on a platform first or never to a second one, it is market requirements writing the rule of the game!

What I can suggest you if you plan to provide IPC services to remote users is to provide g729 codec or IBLC over the WAN, on CUCME you can configure locally (between IP Phones registered) what codec to be used, and of course  for calls from an internal IP Phone to a not registerd user codec can be configured on dial-peer.

As you know Codec is one of the element to be considered for a deployment to assure a good audio quality,  SRND is a useful doc for this.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4625/products_implementation_design_guides_list.html

HTH

That's to say, IPC is no need to consider CME or CUCM?

in my experience IPC considers CUCM as pilot to introduce UC &C services for enterprise customers.

As next step services of interest for  SMB customers are also introduced to CUCME/UC500 and so on ... going to SMB Market.

Some services can make sense for enteprise customers and not for SMB cistomers, or there is low demand, this is what I think.

For example extension mobility is available on CUCM from a while , on CUCME introduced in last releases ...

IPC support has been introduced first on CUCM and after on CUCME.

Cisco Call Connector is supported only on CUCME and maybe makes no sense  on CUCM where you can use Unifed Messaging platforms and/or Presence Server ...

I know it will be great to have each feature available at day 0 to Commercial/SMB/Enterprise Customers WW ... to each Cisco platform , I'd like also something like this, and I also try to ask for it.

Ciao

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: