Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM BE6K branch server in BE7K 10000 user cluster

saleem pc
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have CUCM Cluster on BE7K on 10K user OVA, there is a branch with existing seperate BE6K with 100 users. we are migrating the the 100 users to HQ Cluster and need local call processing.

I though of 2 options for the Branch.

1. 10K user subscriber on BE6K in Branch

2. 1K user subscriber BE6000 OVA in Branch.

However The BE6K comes with Cisco UC Virt. Hypervisor Plus 6.x license which do not support 10K CUCM OVA i believe (Please correct me if wrong). FYI: No other applications are running on this UCS server

for the second option, the SRND says

When mixing VM configurations within a cluster, differences in capacity between the various VM configurations must be considered because the supported overall cluster capacity is limited by the cluster capacity corresponding to the smallest VM configuration within the cluster.

So If I add 1000 user BE6K Subscriber node my cluster will be limited for 1000 users.

Any Advice to add BE6K server in 100 user branch with local call processing for BE7K cluster is appreciated.

Adding to it. All my branch users are presently connected from HQ cluster, I am trying to achieve local call processing for branch site using existing BE6K UCS hardware at branch.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
You've got your answer already...mostly.

So, no, you cannot install anything other than the 1,000 user OVA on the BE6K and it has nothing to do with the license, rather the class of hardware.

And you're correct in your understanding of bringing the 1,000 user OVA into the cluster overall (which would require a complete rebuild of the CUCM node(s) on the BE6K), that it will cripple your BE7K to 1,000 users.

Your best option is to then deploy an SME cluster and connect all of your branch BE6Ks to the SME, which is then also connected to your HQ BE7K. In my opinion of course. So, take it for just that, an opinion from an internet stranger.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
You've got your answer already...mostly.

So, no, you cannot install anything other than the 1,000 user OVA on the BE6K and it has nothing to do with the license, rather the class of hardware.

And you're correct in your understanding of bringing the 1,000 user OVA into the cluster overall (which would require a complete rebuild of the CUCM node(s) on the BE6K), that it will cripple your BE7K to 1,000 users.

Your best option is to then deploy an SME cluster and connect all of your branch BE6Ks to the SME, which is then also connected to your HQ BE7K. In my opinion of course. So, take it for just that, an opinion from an internet stranger.

Thanks Anthony for support.

is it supported to add CUCM TFTP only node in the cluster on BE6K host without reducing my existing cluster capacity ?

That's probably no different, since the database is replicated to all servers regardless of features enabled, but I cannot say I've ever run into that exact scenario before. What benefit would it be to deploy a 1,000 User OVA for TFTP only at the branch?

To reduce the firmware load delays over WAN. When a new IP Phone is added or factory reset it takes hours to download firmware, I understand, the reason could be the packet loss when it transfer over WAN and TFTP operates as a lock-step protocol.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: