cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM configuring

Rosa Ladeira
Level 1
Level 1

I am not used to CUCM. I have started configuring it by a few days.

As SIP has become a strong force shaping the IP telephony and unified communications, and is quickly becoming the request-response protocol of choice I would like to know what are the benefits of choosing skinny protocol instead sip ?

Thanks,

Rosa

5 Replies 5

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Rosa

The benefits are mainly down to the fact that CUCM was built around SCCP, and it's therefore more 'standard' to CUCM than SIP is.

Some phones have different feature capabilities when running SIP, traditionally the SIP features have been less than SCCP but it gets closer all the time.

Some new phones are SIP only, some older ones are SCCP only.

In general most people deploy SCCP for phones, unless it's a SIP only type of phone. The good thing about CUCM is that you can do this in whatever combination you like - some phones can be SCCP, some SIP, and both can call each other, and can call out over SIP trunks or traditional ISDNs etc.

So - basically I deploy SCCP phones, SIP phones for phones that don't support SCCP, and SIP to me is really used only for trunks.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Aaron as I said everything is quite new in this world..

What stands for I deploy SCCP phones, SIP phones for phones that don't support SCCP ?

IIUYC sip and SSCP protocols can not run together.

I am concerned about you meaning - "SIP phones for phones that don't support SCCP".

How can they register to ?

Thanks,

Rosa

Hi

A single IP phone cannot run SIP and SCCP at the same time.

However you can have one 7942 running SIP, and another 7942 running SCCP and they will work fine.

What I mean is that I use SCCP all the time. The exception to that is when a certain phone model doesn't support SCCP, in that case I would use SIP as I don't have a choice. Those phones work just like any other except you specify SIP when adding it...

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

I completly concur with Aaron (+5), the feature parity between SIP and SCCP is almost 100% on phones that support either protocol, however there are still few small features that are only supported with SCCP. Because of Cisco's SCCP maturity you tend to have less features with SCCP than SIP, hence my preference to still use SCCP on phones that support it.  If you have phones that only support SIP i.e. 99XX, then as Aaron states there is absolutely no issue having phones using different protocols on CUCM as CUCM is a protocol translator.

HTH,

Chris

Rosa Ladeira
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you Aaron and Chris.
Finally I understand.
I was confused about concepts of registering and autoregistering.
There is an initial configuration of SCCP autoregistering. I guess autoregistering and registering was the same.
Rosa

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App