Helpful
Replies

CUCM/CUP Unrestricted and Restricted

Flo.Matalis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

Want to ask your opinions again:

I will be upgrading our CUCM/CUC and CUP servers to version 11.5 SU4 and see below current versions:

CUCM: 9.1.2.11900-12 Unrestricted

CUC: 9.1.2.11900-12 Unrestricted

CUP: 9.1.1.41900-1

I downloaded the 11.5 SU4 Unrestricted version for CUCM/CUC and able to see from the available upgrade software/version.

However, for CUPS, I downloaded both IMP Unrestricted and Restricted versions but I am getting below:

UCSInstall_CUP_11.5.1.14900-32.sgn.iso The version obtained from the name does not match the active or inactive version of the publisher.
UCSInstall_CUP_UNRST_11.5.1.14900-32.sgn.iso The version obtained from the name does not match the active or inactive version of the publisher.

Also, will there be any impact on this since not all servers are Restricted/Unrestricted?

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,

Florence

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

narinder sandhu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello my friend I hope you are well.

I would stick to the the version you are currently running to avoid any complications, so if it's currently unrestricted then use unrestricted for the application.

Please read the "pre upgrade tasks" as you may require the installation of a .cop file, so go through all these tasks carefully.

this is probably why you are seeing the above message.

please refer to this guide for the upgrade procedure for IM and P.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/11_5_1/cucm_b_upgrade-guide-cucm-115/cucm_b_upgrade-guide-cucm-115_chapter_01100.html

Read the "upgrade path" carefully the "pre upgrade tasks" and also the "upgrade procedure", this should give you you're answer

Please rate if this is useful.

Thankyou

View solution in original post

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In older releases you could mix CUCM and IM&P with restricted/unrestricted, in the latest releases it's one or the other, either the whole CUCM/IM&P cluster is restricted, or the whole cluster is un-restricted.

As you're using CUCM in un-restricted, you're forced to upgrade to an un-restricted release.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Version Does Not Match the Active or Inactive Version

Problem During an upgrade on a Cisco IM and Presence server, you cannot select the software image from the disk or remote directory. The following error is reported: The version obtained from the name does not match the active or inactive version of the publisher.

Solution The version matching rules have not been met. The software versions must meet the following requirements:

The software version of the IM and Presence database publisher node (the first IM and Presence node that you upgrade) must match the first two numbers of the software version installed on the Unified Communications Manager publisher node. The software version installed on the Unified Communications Manager publisher node may be active or inactive. For example, IM and Presence Service software version 10.0.1.10000-1 is compatible with Cisco Unified Communications Manager software version 10.0.1.30000-2.
The software version of the IM and Presence subscriber nodes that you upgrade must match five numbers of the software version installed on the IM and Presence database publisher node.

Ensure that the first node that you upgrade is either the Unified Communications Manager publisher node or the IM and Presence database publisher node, or select a different image for the software upgrade.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Rath!

***Please rate helpful posts***

14 Replies 14

narinder sandhu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello my friend I hope you are well.

I would stick to the the version you are currently running to avoid any complications, so if it's currently unrestricted then use unrestricted for the application.

Please read the "pre upgrade tasks" as you may require the installation of a .cop file, so go through all these tasks carefully.

this is probably why you are seeing the above message.

please refer to this guide for the upgrade procedure for IM and P.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/11_5_1/cucm_b_upgrade-guide-cucm-115/cucm_b_upgrade-guide-cucm-115_chapter_01100.html

Read the "upgrade path" carefully the "pre upgrade tasks" and also the "upgrade procedure", this should give you you're answer

Please rate if this is useful.

Thankyou

Thanks Narinder for your help! I will check this. Really appreciated your reply!

Ratheesh Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there

Yes, upgrade guide should be your best bud. 

Migration from the unrestricted version to the restricted version is not supported.

Problem    During an upgrade on a Cisco IM and Presence server, you cannot select the software image from the disk or remote directory. The following error is reported: The version obtained from the name does not match the active or inactive version of the publisher.

Solution    The version matching rules have not been met. The software versions must meet the following requirements:

• The software version of the IM and Presence database publisher node (the first IM and Presence node that you upgrade) must match the first two numbers of the software version installed on the Unified Communications Manager publisher node. The software version installed on the Unified Communications Manager publisher node may be active or inactive. For example, IM and Presence Servicesoftware version 10.0.1.10000-1 is compatible with Cisco Unified Communications Manager software version 10.0.1.30000-2.

• The software version of the IM and Presence subscriber nodes that you upgrade must match five numbers of the software version installed on the IM and Presence database publisher node.

Ensure that the first node that you upgrade is either the Unified Communications Manager publisher node or the IM and Presencedatabase publisher node, or select a different image for the software upgrade.

Restricted and Unrestricted

• Signaling & media encryption is permanently disabled in the  unrestricted version.
  • Signaling & media encryption capabilities are unchanged in the  restricted version.
  • Migration from the unrestricted version to the restricted version  is not supported

Hope this Helps

Cheers
Rath!

Thanks for your inputs, Rath! This is helpful!

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In older releases you could mix CUCM and IM&P with restricted/unrestricted, in the latest releases it's one or the other, either the whole CUCM/IM&P cluster is restricted, or the whole cluster is un-restricted.

As you're using CUCM in un-restricted, you're forced to upgrade to an un-restricted release.

HTH

java

Thanks Java!

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/CUPS/IM%26P_FAQ

====================================
Can I mix restricted and unrestricted images in the same cluster??
This was possible in 9.x, however, in 10.x, all servers, CUCM and IM&P, need to be running either restricted, or unrestricted across the board.
====================================

Just to clarify things. Since my CUCM is on an UNRESTRICTED version while my CUP is on a RESTRICTED version, I CANNOT upgrade my CUP the same as UNRESTRICTED version, hence, I need to build a new CUP that is UNRESTRICTED. Am I correct?

Regards,
Flo

I bet your best option is to move from restricted to unrestricted upgrade.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Rath!

No, you can go from a restricted to an un-restricted release just by using the unrestricted image.

The other way around is not possible, the upgrade procedure will error out.

Going from un-restricted to restricted means you need to use BAT to move the info between servers.

HTH

java

Hi Rath & Java,

Thanks for your replies.

Just to make sure we are on the same page, I have to uniform the servers to Unrestricted or Restricted across to all servers.

For my current situation, since my CUP is on a Restricted version, from what Java said, I can upgrade it using the Unrestricted version.

Or I can also build a new CUP with unrestricted version then do BAT or build a new IMP 11.5 Unrestricted version.

Regards,
Flo

I just uploaded the ciscocm.version3-keys.cop.sgn as stated on the upgrade guide but I am still getting the error of "The version obtained from the name does not match the active or inactive version of the publisher.".

Hi there

Your CUCM is Unrestricted and CUP/IMP is Restricted. Keep your CUCM intact and go ahead with CUP upgrade from Restricted to Unrestricted.

The rule of thumb and all you have to remember is Restricted to Unrestricted is allowed whereas reverse is not allowed.

If you plan and want to move your CUCM Restricted to Unrestricted, then the only option is as Java said you have to get all the information and prepare for a BAT update. Obviously this is not as easy and more administrative overheads.

Hope you are clear

Hope this helps
Cheers
Rath!

Hi Rath,

I got your point. Thanks!

Just want to confirm how will I upgrade from Restricted to Unrestricted? I just uploaded the ciscocm.version3-keys.cop.sgn as stated on the upgrade guide but I am still getting the error of "The version obtained from the name does not match the active or inactive version of the publisher.". or I will just build a new one instead.

Regards,
Florence

Problem During an upgrade on a Cisco IM and Presence server, you cannot select the software image from the disk or remote directory. The following error is reported: The version obtained from the name does not match the active or inactive version of the publisher.

Solution The version matching rules have not been met. The software versions must meet the following requirements:

The software version of the IM and Presence database publisher node (the first IM and Presence node that you upgrade) must match the first two numbers of the software version installed on the Unified Communications Manager publisher node. The software version installed on the Unified Communications Manager publisher node may be active or inactive. For example, IM and Presence Service software version 10.0.1.10000-1 is compatible with Cisco Unified Communications Manager software version 10.0.1.30000-2.
The software version of the IM and Presence subscriber nodes that you upgrade must match five numbers of the software version installed on the IM and Presence database publisher node.

Ensure that the first node that you upgrade is either the Unified Communications Manager publisher node or the IM and Presence database publisher node, or select a different image for the software upgrade.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Rath!

All good! Thanks for the help!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: