Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Errors

atrin.saghebfar
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

actually i have a problem with my CUCM7.1, i got the error on my CUCM Console " IpVms: StreamMixer: Excessive mixer calls (-100) "

so teh -100 could be any number but all of them are minus, and after i got this error my outgoing or incomming calls are effected and sometimes i miss my calls

my network are shoe below:

CUCM7.1 ---------> 2801 (4*2fxo) ----------->PSTN

is someone have this issue before

thanks

Atrin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Here is the bug:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCto69596

CSCte19629          Bug Details
"Excessive mixer calls" alerts from IPVms
Symptom:
IpVms media driver issues error to system log "Excessive mixer calls"

Conditions:
Other (unknown) system processes are causing the kipvmsMixer## process to not be scheduled for execution for a period exceeding 100ms.  Since kipvmsMixer## process is running at high priority (near RT) about the only other processes that can interfere are system / kernel related.

Side-effect of this is the audio media being streamed from Media Streaming App may have jitter issues at the end-points.  With no control over scheduling, the application cannot do anything to reduce this.  Only possibly by reducing work-load on the server (number of registered devices or call traffic).

Workaround:
Ignore the error message.

Additional Information
While the changes that were made for this defect will in most instances eliminate the "Excessive mixer calls" error message, it is still possible for the error to be caused.  Further analysis of this error has determined that the Cisco Security  Agent is sometimes causing a very significant process scheduling delay related to packet I/O.  A defect (CSCtf33893) has been created for this.
As a result of this, there can be some significant RTP jitter delays related to Cisco IP Voice Media Streaming App service media devices (SW CFB, ANN, SW MTP and MOH).

1st Found-In

1st Found-in

8.0(2)

7.1(3.10000.11)

Fixed-In

Fixed-in

7.1(4.98000.108)

8.0(1.98000.25)

7.1(3.32013.1)

7.1(3.32900.2)

8.0(1.94000.2)

8.0(1.11001.3)

8.0(2.10000.24)

7.1(5.10000.12)

8.0(3.10000.8)

8.5(1.12007.1)

And another one:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCsr39545

CSCsr39545          Bug Details
CoRes - Excessive Mixer Calls alerts during load
Symptom:

System log periodically will contain a notification message:
Alert kernel: IpVms: StreamMixer: Excessive mixer calls (-120)

Conditions:
System involves a co-res installation of CUCM and Unity Express with moderate traffic using both media devices (ANN, MOH, SW MTP, SW CFB) and Unity.

Workaround:

Reduce call traffic using media devices.

Further Problem Description:

The notification message is an indication that there is a CPU process(s) that delay the scheduling of the ipvms mixer process from running for 120ms.  This is deemed too long and will result in audio jitter with media devices having bad audio.

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There was a bug for this, this is not an issue but rather an esthetic error. You can ignore it.

Chris

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Here is the bug:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCto69596

CSCte19629          Bug Details
"Excessive mixer calls" alerts from IPVms
Symptom:
IpVms media driver issues error to system log "Excessive mixer calls"

Conditions:
Other (unknown) system processes are causing the kipvmsMixer## process to not be scheduled for execution for a period exceeding 100ms.  Since kipvmsMixer## process is running at high priority (near RT) about the only other processes that can interfere are system / kernel related.

Side-effect of this is the audio media being streamed from Media Streaming App may have jitter issues at the end-points.  With no control over scheduling, the application cannot do anything to reduce this.  Only possibly by reducing work-load on the server (number of registered devices or call traffic).

Workaround:
Ignore the error message.

Additional Information
While the changes that were made for this defect will in most instances eliminate the "Excessive mixer calls" error message, it is still possible for the error to be caused.  Further analysis of this error has determined that the Cisco Security  Agent is sometimes causing a very significant process scheduling delay related to packet I/O.  A defect (CSCtf33893) has been created for this.
As a result of this, there can be some significant RTP jitter delays related to Cisco IP Voice Media Streaming App service media devices (SW CFB, ANN, SW MTP and MOH).

1st Found-In

1st Found-in

8.0(2)

7.1(3.10000.11)

Fixed-In

Fixed-in

7.1(4.98000.108)

8.0(1.98000.25)

7.1(3.32013.1)

7.1(3.32900.2)

8.0(1.94000.2)

8.0(1.11001.3)

8.0(2.10000.24)

7.1(5.10000.12)

8.0(3.10000.8)

8.5(1.12007.1)

And another one:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCsr39545

CSCsr39545          Bug Details
CoRes - Excessive Mixer Calls alerts during load
Symptom:

System log periodically will contain a notification message:
Alert kernel: IpVms: StreamMixer: Excessive mixer calls (-120)

Conditions:
System involves a co-res installation of CUCM and Unity Express with moderate traffic using both media devices (ANN, MOH, SW MTP, SW CFB) and Unity.

Workaround:

Reduce call traffic using media devices.

Further Problem Description:

The notification message is an indication that there is a CPU process(s) that delay the scheduling of the ipvms mixer process from running for 120ms.  This is deemed too long and will result in audio jitter with media devices having bad audio.

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

thank you very much Chris

i'm going to upgrade my cucm