Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Installation - Answer File

I am trying to test the CUCM Installation (version 11.0.1) using the Answer File (added on a USB Disk).

After being asked for the answer file, I am getting the error below.

I have created a link for my xml file Any ideas what I may be doing wrong?

Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 12.00.28.png

Thank you

Theo

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If this is a publisher, the answer files will want a clusterConfig.xml as well as a platformConfig.xml for this to work.

But I believe your problem is the parameter value under Product Deployment. For a CUCM server that value should read <ParamValue>callmanager</ParamValue> and not <ParamValue>cuba</ParamValue>

I would also encourage you to remove the remark lines with the password for the actual file you use to do the install. If you are keeping a record, add those remark files in on the copy you store.

And I'm with Jonathan on the floppy suggestion. I've done many hundreds of server installs (large lab environment) using virtual floppies and have never had a problem.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Good god, do not expose your platform/cluster config files to the public internet. They contain built-in credentials!

I have never tried using a USB stick since that seems more involved. Creating a virtual floppy file is tradinionally the way to go. If the installer doesn’t like the file perhaps ensure you chose the correct product/version in AFG.

If this is a publisher, the answer files will want a clusterConfig.xml as well as a platformConfig.xml for this to work.

But I believe your problem is the parameter value under Product Deployment. For a CUCM server that value should read <ParamValue>callmanager</ParamValue> and not <ParamValue>cuba</ParamValue>

I would also encourage you to remove the remark lines with the password for the actual file you use to do the install. If you are keeping a record, add those remark files in on the copy you store.

And I'm with Jonathan on the floppy suggestion. I've done many hundreds of server installs (large lab environment) using virtual floppies and have never had a problem.

Thank you Maren,

I have added both the ClusterConfig.xml and the correct  PlatformConfig.xml on a floppy disk with no much luck. 

I think I have done so many tests / manual changes on the config files that I have now lost track. 

I will wipe everything, do a clean install and I hope it will work. 

* Of course this is a lab I am running that's why I am sharing my credentials. 

Thanks again. 

I have managed to figured out what the problem was. First of all when you generate the XML file Mozilla Firefox displays it as html (right window). If you press Ctl+U, you can get the XML format, which you can copy/paste on text Editor (Notepad++) and save the file as platformConfig.xml.

Then you have to do the same with clusterConfig.xml

Also I was using a .img floppy disk type. I have created a .flp file using WinImage and added both the xml files there

A great step-by-step guide can be found on Youtube

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 11.34.52.png

This is not working any more. 

its only showing html only. no more xml file.

i tried as you Ctrl+U and also form hml file pressed F12 to get xml under debugger. but its blank. nothing there. im telling about version 14.0.1.

Holy smokes! I've tried using Firefox, Chrome, IE (I have an old one) and Edge, and none of them are behaving as they did before. I don't know if this is an issue with the generator or some change in the way the browsers are working. I'm going to keep researching and see if I can come up with a solution.

Maren

I have a workaround, but it is ugly... Here we go.

Step 1: Fill out the information on the Answer File Generator

Step 2: Click "Generate Files". A pop-up will appear allowing you to download files.

Step 3: Click one of the "Download File" buttons. What will appear will be in HTML format.

Step 4: Using the browser's menu, do a "Save Page As" and save the page as a "Web Page, Complete". This will have an extension of .html

Step 5: Open the .html file in Notepad++

Step 6: Delete from "<html><head>" through </html><body> as shown here:

First.jpg

Step 7: Delete the "!--" at the front of the first line and the "--" at the end of the first line as shown here:

Second.jpg

Step 8: Scroll to the bottom of the page and delete the ending "</body></html> as shown here:

Third.jpg

Step 9: Do a Save As in Notepad++ and save the file as XML (scroll to the bottom of the file types and select "eXtensible Markup Language" as the type)

I tried looking for converters and plugins and all sorts of things to figure this out. There may be a more elegant way to fix the problem, but this will work...as ugly as it is.

Maren

If possible I would give more than +5 for the effort alone on this @Maren Mahoney, as always you go well beyond normality. ':-)'

Response Signature

@Roger Kallberg....You're going to make me blush.

Maren

But frankly speaking im not getting xml at all as you said. so I cannot do workaraound. how did u get that?

im not getting it from firefox 92.0.1

its only HTML tags. there is no xml tags generated for me in firefox.

But in internet explorer i got xml and tested it. its working fine. im in windows 20H2. version of internet explorer  i think its 11. exact version i could nt check the help menu of internet explorer. its showing windows 10 version details and not that of internet explorer.

Even in IE 11, AFG page was not loading properly.  but was able to generate it. 

june 2022, internet explorer is going to expire. after that what will happen to AFG ? what is the cisco plan?

The workaround posted works in at least Firefox and Chrome. The key is allowing the AFG "Download File" to generate the .html page, save it as a "Web Page, Complete", and then edit the resulting file in Notepad++.

As for what happens after IE goes away completely, your guess is as good as mine.

Maren

Ammar Saood
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi

I am also facing problem in Firefox, GoogleChrome and MS Edge. As of now I tested this and its working fine for me. While in IE, press download file and then press "ALT +F"  you will get the menu bar. Click save as, and enter filename platformConfig.xml and select "Save as type = txt.

ALG+F.pngScreenshot 2021-12-01 202028.png

Please rate & click "accept as solution" if this answered your Question.

For what it's worth, I just got this to work in Firefox 96.0.2 without much workaround. Here's what I did:

- Used Firefox 96.0.2 (Just what I had installed already)
- Filled out fields as usual, and clicked "Generate Answer Files"

- Clicked "Download File"

- When the new window popped up, I simply right-clicked and chose "Save Page As"

- In the Save As Dialog box, I appended ".xml" to the filename, and left the "Save As Type" to the default (Web page, complete)

- Once the file was downloaded it, I was able to open it in Notepad++ and verify it was properly formatted.

Nathan Gageby
Level 4
Level 4

Has anyone created an answer file and floppy image they are willing to share here?  I was able to navigate the issues on the answer file generator and get the cml however I still have the same issue.  Since the instructions on the AFG are really wrong I am low on confidence with that tool.  I realize passwords are in the file so I understand if those fields are blank in the sample.  I am happy to post mine here with bogus login information so that others might get an answer if that will help.  Thanks in advance to all those that read these and keep the community going. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: