cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Insufficient number of Licenses

chris.makely
Level 1
Level 1

So i'm currently over my licenses usage, I have PO out for additional licenses to become compliant, however, that is taking longer than anticipated to process, is there anyway to delete users/devices from the cucm to become compliant with the licenses I have installed and just not re-add those devices until I get my additional licenses.  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@sampath9614 when Jabber is only used for messaging/presence then, indeed, it does not consume a license. Though, as soon as you add as CSF device so as to use it as a phone itself, it does.

Georgios
Please rate if you find this helpful.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

sampath9614
Level 1
Level 1

The only way you can do so is to reboot the cucm cluster once, at that time make sure the excess number of phones are not in the network. Then, you are not in licence compliance hence you can modify or delete the phones.

Rate if helped.

You do not have to reboot your cluster. If you delete the devices from your configuration and re-sync License Manager, that will do the job for you. Though, you will have to re-add the devices once licenses are purchased; there is no way to comply without actually deleting the devices. Find unused devices and delete them until your order is complete.

Georgios

I thought the license violation error occurred, that's the reason he posted
how to delete the phones. If my assumption is correct then probably a
reboot is required!

Georgios, thanks for the quick response, that would work great, now when you mean devices do they have to be ip phones or can they be jabber clients as well?

CSF Jabber devices also consume licenses, so you could also remove them. Though, if you have Enhanced Plus or Workspace (UWL) licenses you can assign same user OwnerID (under device config) to, let's say, one Jabber and one IP Phone device and they would consume only one license (instead of two).

Georgios

Jabber doesn't consume any licence, so its not considered as a device. Only
the physical end points which you consumes the license (which are not
available enough) need to be removed.

Note; after the reboot if there are excess phones still on the network then
again the violation occurs and needs a reboot.

Calculate the licenses from license usage summary

I may not correct on this, take a not of the other reply.

@sampath9614 when Jabber is only used for messaging/presence then, indeed, it does not consume a license. Though, as soon as you add as CSF device so as to use it as a phone itself, it does.

Georgios

Please do not reply quickly if 100% not sure or tested.

It depends on what type of licenses exist in the system, and how the phones have been configured.

The link here explains the licensing model :- 

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/unified-communications/unified-communications-licensing/C45_523902_11_9_licensing_aag_v5a_1.pdf

Let's try to understand it from an example. Suppose you have two CUWL Standard license , one user, one phone. The user requires Jabber Android client for unified communications.

Scenario 1:- Phone's device profile is configured as anonymous owner, i.e. it is not associated with any user.

Jabber is configured, and of course is associated with the user.

In this case, the system will consume one CUWL standard user license, and will also need one "Enhanced License" for the unassigned phone. As the system doesn't have enhanced license, it will borrow from the higher CUWL tier to meet enhanced license requirement. So, in this configuration mode, the system will consume two CUWL standard license.

Scenario 2:- Phone's device profile is configured to be assigned to a user-id. So, the owner is not anonymous and is a user.

In this case, since the Jabber and the phone has a single user. And, because a CUWL Standard license can support up to 10 devices per user, only one CUWL Standard license will be consumed, although the number of devices configured still remains the same as in scenario 1.

Kye thing to note is the CUWL licenses are user based and not device based. So, in case you have CUWL licenses on the CUCM, check the License usage reports from System ---> Licensing ---> License Usage report to see if there are unassigned devices due to a configuration negligence. Assign these to their designated users, to optimize the license consumption.

In this client's sinario, there are 1440 unassigned devices, and 333 users. They don't have users for all the devices, and could not be assigned. A majority of the phones are in shared facility. So, how does your example will fit in here?

Users     333         
Unassigned Devices     1440

Gianluca Fedele
Level 1
Level 1

I have a similar problem.

My CUCM has just 1 Telepresence Room license installed.

We replaced the codec last year, but my technician just added the new codec in CUCM, without removing the old one. So we worked with license exceeded for few months (2 TP in device list and just 1 TP Room license).

Now we complete deactivated the videoconference room. We tried to remove the TP device in CUCM but the system didn't allow to remove devices as we exceeded licenses for more than 60 days (that's a very stupid Cisco rule! You should disable ADDING new devices, it is ridiculous disable to DELETING device). Anyway... we installed a temporary license with 10 TP Room, and YES we were able to remove both codec in device list in CUCM.

The question is: why my prime license manager still inform "2 required telepresence room license"?

I removed both videoconference codec in device list in CUCM, I have only phones now.

Yes, I made a synchronization, twice, but license manager still inform I need 2 TP Room license (even there are no more videoconference room in device list).

Do I need a reboot or what?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: