Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Media bypass

network_user
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Is it possible to configure a SIP trunk on CUCM to bypass the CUCM for media traffic? I have a SIP trunk between CUCM and FreePBX server. Phones register to CUCM and calls route out to SIP trunk to FreePBX. I want that once the call is setup the rtp traffic flows between the phones and the voice provider on the internet, bypassing CUCM and FreePBX servers. I looked online but could not find any way to configure CUCM to bypass itself for media traffic. Is this possible to do and how?

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Jitender Bhandari
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

There is no such option in SIP trunk configuration that you are looking for. By default CUCM is a signalling device which means RTP would not flow through CUCM server. exceptions are below.

MTP being invoked because of below

Re-Packetization of a Stream

DTMF Conversion

Protocol-specific usage

DTMF Relay over SIP Trunks

H.323 Supplementary Services

H.323 Outbound Fast Connect

MOH server being allocated on CUCM.

Software conference bridge being allocated.

If non of the above is the case then RTP would always be between endpoints independent of CUCM.

(Rate if it helps)

JB

Hello Jitender,

Thanks for the quick response. I do not have any requirements that you listed. So, I am not sure why the RTP is still flowing through CUCM. The setup is as follows:

Phone-->CUCM --[SIP trunk] --FreePBX-- [SIP Trunk] --Voice provider.

And the RTP flows as below in either direction (not same both ways):

Phone --> CUCM-->Voice Provider

Voice Provider -->FreePBX-->CUCM-->Phone

Do you have any idea why?

Thanks!

Hi,

Only way to find that out is to look at a sample traces for such call.

JB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: