Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM - MTP (Software/Hardware)

B_VOIP_NE
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have about 15 remote sites and 2 data centers.  The data-centers both have CUBES that connect to the PSTN via provider SIP trunks.  Each remote site also has an SRST.  I have always assigned MTP via the MRG list for each site preferring the local SRST first then the software MTP that comes from the CUCM pub/sub as a secondary option in the MRG list.  I was recently told this wsa incorrect and I should instead have the pub/sub software MTP resources listed first.  Can someone please let me know how this should be?

Current Setup

Site 1

MRG List: Site 1 local (CFB/MTP/XCOE) from the SRST

Or should it be

Site 1

MRG List: Software CFB/MTP from the CUCM PUB/SUB first?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
I also agree with OP and Jonathan too. Whoever told you that needs to come on this thread and explain themselves!! ;)

Additionally, I see people messing up the DTMF selection process quite often. Be sure to have the rtp-nte on the provider facing side dial-peers, but then on the CUCM facing dial-peers have both rtp-nte and sip-kpml (or sip-notify, but requires SIP trunk Sec profile enabled).

Lastly, your SIP trunk in CUCM should have early offer best effort on the SIP profile and DTMF no preference.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I agree with your original approach: engage MTPs local to the phone and always prefer IOS Enhanced SW MTP over IPVMSA.

Having said that, you should not need an MTP under normal circumstances if everything is properly configured. If you are seeing usage of the MTPs I suggest researching why; simple tweaks to other config (eg DTMF relay methods) can usually eliminate the need for them.

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
I also agree with OP and Jonathan too. Whoever told you that needs to come on this thread and explain themselves!! ;)

Additionally, I see people messing up the DTMF selection process quite often. Be sure to have the rtp-nte on the provider facing side dial-peers, but then on the CUCM facing dial-peers have both rtp-nte and sip-kpml (or sip-notify, but requires SIP trunk Sec profile enabled).

Lastly, your SIP trunk in CUCM should have early offer best effort on the SIP profile and DTMF no preference.

Thank you for your help.  Where would I find the option for early offer best choice?  I don't see this under trunk configuration or the SIP profile.