Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM new filsystem EXT4 with version12.5

rperon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a question about updating Unified Com applications (CUCM, CUC, IMP) to version 12.5.

In the precheck, it is indicated as follows:

If the previous two checks pass, the test checks if the server is using the ext3 filesystem and marks the test as
“WARN” with a recommendation to move to the ext4 filesystem.

My question is, is this filesystem changed automatically when upgrading to version 12, or is there a special action to be taken for the move to the ext4 filesystem?

I did not find any procedure on this change

10 Replies 10

hardcoretech
Level 1
Level 1

Why is no one answering this question??  Cisco???

It happens automatically as part of the process of the upgrade. There is no need for any manual action on your end.

Response Signature

The file system EXT3 is not changing to EXT4 during the upgrade!

How did your upgrade to CUCM 12.5 go? i have the same warning in my pre upgrade check about moving to ext4 file system. did you have to do anything before the upgrade to address it?

The conversion of the file system happens automatically as part of the process of the upgrade. There is no need for any manual action on your end.

Response Signature

Thanks Roger.

Hi Roger,
Does it matter if its a PCD upgrade or a Direct OS Admin upgrade?

No. The changes to the file system happens regardless of how you upgrade.

Response Signature

Daniel Bosch
Level 1
Level 1

In theory.  I just ran preupgrade check on a 7 node CUCM cluster running v12.5.and only 1 node threw this warning.  Not sure how one server could upgrade to 12.5 and not get file system updated like all the rest.  This is the only hit I got regarding this warning, so posting just as heads up in case anyone else upgrading to v14 runs across this.  I'm opening a TAC case and suspecting I'll need to rebuild this one.  Hoping it's a false positive though...  Bizarre.

================================================================================
Pre Upgrade Test Date: 01/10/2023 22:41:56 UTC
================================================================================
Active Version: 12.5.1.12900-115
Server: ************** , CUCM Subscriber

Result Test
------ -------------------------------------------------------------------
1.1 WARN Filesystem Checks

*) This server is using an older filesystem type (ext3).
Recommend reinstall-and-restore or PCD Migration before upgrading to move
to newer/more efficient ext4 for increased performance and reliability.

Daniel Bosch
Level 1
Level 1

TAC advised that you can still upgrade to v14 on ext3 filesystem, but should plan to rebuild at some for optimal performance.