Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM TIME CHANGE

vijayvikram45
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I need to update the time of CUCM. We have a time mismatch with the recording server and advised to update the time of CUCM. I can see in OS administration that NTP is currently enabled. And I am getting a message Time cannot be set because NTP is enabled. How can I update time of CUCM.

I can see in CLI that the stratum is 5 which is above the cisco recommendation. the Stratum is so high being an internal server, this may cause the phones to slowly lose time sync. How do we correct this and reduce the stratum to 5 and below.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Steven L
Spotlight
Spotlight

NTP is mandatory in CUCM. you need to ensure all devices are using NTP and from the same source

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Steven L
Spotlight
Spotlight

NTP is mandatory in CUCM. you need to ensure all devices are using NTP and from the same source

CM will get it’s time from a NTP server and in turn will act as the time source for many of the phones. For the phones that cannot get the time from CM you need to configure NTP servers to use in the DTG in CM to have this/them give time to the phones. For the recording system you should check that it uses the same time source as CM.

Response Signature

The Publisher is the time server for your cluster, so if you need to change the time on your cluster you would do it on the Publisher by setting an NTP source and then setting the timezone.

Network Time Protocol (NTP) on CUCM 

CLI Reference Guide CUCM 12.5 - Set Commands - set timezone 

Maren

Hello Maren,

We have a NTP configured. however I have checked CLI and I can see that stratum is 5 which is above cisco recommended. I need to reduce the Stratum can you advice how can we do that,

to solve your stated problem the stratum is less important than making sure every server and device is using the same source.

if all your devices are using the same NTP server, they will be in sync. the accuracy of the time is less important.

CUCM doesn't support windows NTP. So for CUCM NTP,   I always make my Cisco  Core switch as  NTP server with stratum  value 2 . And I make Cores switch to sync  with time.google.com.

And also make sure you assign Proper Time Zone for CUCM. 

I never faced any Time issues with above setup. 

Response Signature

SNTP is what is not supported. Most current windows servers are using NTP4, not SNTP.

While CUCM should be a Strat 3 or higher, that is only crucial during installs of the IMP subcluster. CUCM itself can be any stratum after that, as long as the clock-slip isn't more than a couple of milliseconds (which it shouldn't be).

Let's go back to your original post. The folks said that the time on your CUCM server is "wrong". Can you tell us whether this is because the two systems are not in sync, or is it because they are in different timezones (and therefore show different time)?

Maren

Recommended Option is to make recording Server to Sync time from same  NTP server. 

issue utils ntp status, it must show  synchronised.

Screenshot 2021-10-21 at 5.17.09 AM.png

Response Signature

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: