Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM + Unity to CMBE5000 Migrationn

shanee420
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

A customer wants to migrate from a CUCM (6.1)+ Unity(4.0) solution to a CMBE system as it’s an overkill for only around 70 users that he has got. So instead of spending on upgrading 3 obsolete servers, it might be a good idea to migrate to a consolidated system like CMBE. I understand that one can migrate from a CMBE system to a full blown CUCM and CUC system but is the converse possible as well? The ordering guide does not mention such a migration. So I guess, it’s not possible to migrate licenses from CUCM+Unity to CMBE and would require ordering new User Connect licenses. Has anyone come across this and would be able to comment please?

Regards,

Zeeshan

2 Replies 2

Arun Ragunathan
Level 4
Level 4

You can use 3x3 upgrade promotion to get licenses migrated to Unified CMBE 5000. I have the snippet from the ordering guide that describes migration process below.

<>

3.7 Migrations

Customers may want to migrate to Unified CMBE 5000 from either stand-alone Unified Communications Manager or Communications Manager Express. Following table specifies what is supported from a hardware, data, software and user license perspective while migrating to Unfiied CMBE.

Hardware

All phone models in the customer’s current CME or UCM deployments can be re-used with Unified CMBE 5000.

ISR can be re-purposed as a voice gateway for PSTN connectivity or as a WAN router.

Currently Unified CMBE 5000 is supported only on MCS7828 Hardware server. So all migrations to Unified CMBE 5000 require the purchase of the new MCS 7828 server.

User and Configuration Data

User and configuration data have to be re-provisioned on the new Unified CMBE 5000 system.

Software and User License

Customers can leverage the 3x3 upgrade part numbers to migrate phone, user. Software licenses from Unified CME or CM environments. All migrations require the purchase of the starter bundle since the media, MCS7828 hardware and base licenses (24 voice mail ports for Unity Connection messaging component as well as the base node license for Unified Communication Manager component) are shipped with the starter bundle.

The customer then needs to purchase upgrade users. The upgrade users do not ship with Voicemail and Phone licenses and therefore would require global licensing operations team to generate new or rehost licenses.

Please follow the process outline below to get the licenses generated for the upgrade users.

Once the order is placed, send an email to licensing@cisco.com with the sales order number of the upgrade order to get the appropriate number of voicemail as well as phone licenses issued. Please see example below.

A customer that has 100 7940 phones on Unified CME today with voicemail for all the 100 users supported on the Cisco Unity Express solution can use the following process to migrate to Unified CMBE 5000 solution.

1)    Order MCS7828I5-K9-BE8E Qty 1 - This part number includes HW and base licenses required for Unfiied              CMBE 5000 software. Order UPG-BE5K-ENH qty 100 to migrate the 100 enhanced users

2)    Order UPG-BE5K-VMB2A qty 100 to migrate the 100 VM users to advanced VM users on Unified CMBE                5000. To migrate to advanced VM users you do not need to migrate to Basic first. Alternatively you can choose to migrate to Basic voicemail by choosing UPG-BE5K-VMBAS

3)    Select version, VERSION-8.X

4)    Order mandatory UCSS for 100 usersUCSS-BE-KENH-3-1 qty 100, UCSS-BE-KVMA-3-1 qty 100

5)    Send email to licensing@cisco.com to get voicemail and phone licenses generated for the 100 users. In the email request please note it is a CUCMBE 5000 3x3 migration and provide the MAC address of the server.

Thanks Arun,

I noticed that in OG just after posting the question. So migrating CUCM users is not a problem -understood. However, the ordering guide doesnt talk about migration of Unity users to Cxn on CMBE. VM licenses would need to be repurchased, I take it?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: