cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM upgrade 6.1.3 and Cluster

mljevakovic
Level 3
Level 3

Our customer has CUCM v. 6.1.3.100-16 on 7825I3 platform with 830 phone license authorized. What is the most efficient way to upgrade this version of CUCM to 8.0 version and get new CUCM apliance with same version for clustering or get new version and install on the customer server.

27 Replies 27

For CUCM, it appears so. I haven't checked every single SKU for ESW. My assumption is you use tools like DCT or configurator tools to come up with the quote. The main SKU look fine. ESW should ideally be co termed with UCSS otherwise you have to keep renewing it every yr

Srini

What we need if we want put another server to work in cluster with existing server (except a new server)? Do we need LIC-CUCM-USR-A ($210) for all 270 users on existing server?

I would suggest (if you haven't already) to see the OG. Adding servers to a cluster requires node license. UCL doesn't count node license. The SKU UCM-7825-80 can be 3 as an example to provide node licenses. What I am not understanding from your question is if your entire cluster has 270 or additional 270. If it is additional 270 then you need to include that to the count

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/partner/WWChannels/technology/ipc/downloads/ip_comm_og_ucl_based_1021.pdf

Srini

According to previous specification we would like first to upgrade existing server to ver 8.0. That server will include 270 users. What we want next is just to buy another server which will work in cluster with server which will upgrade according previous BoM. So our question is do we need LIC-CUCM-USR-A for that new server or only need UCSS for three years for 270 users plus 14 fax device ?

If you are just adding a server to the cluster, then you only need the node license since it will join as another node to the cluster. You only pay for the migration once and that covers you for the cluster

Srini

Is it true? Great! In the doc I cannot find any information what we need for cluster so I don't know how to make specification. Any info will be helpful.

thanks in advance

I'm reading the document but I have dilemma do we need LIC-CUCM-USR-A (page 19. Table 3) if we want just another server to work with existing? If we have to buy it the price is horrible? So we'll never sell any additional server (270x210=56700 without UCSS for these users).

Hi,

You are worrying yourself for nothing, as selling UCL a second time for the SAME DEVICE/USER is not necessary... As Srini says, you only need the node license.

So,

1) You pay for migration, from existing 1 server UCM system to new 1 server UCM system (on the same server, I guess).

2) You get node license for the new server and the required hardware.. (There's no need to buy UCL here, if you are not adding new users to the system)

Isn't it right?

If you have right it will be super? Our goal is to make upgrade existing server (now it is clear), and after that buy a new server and put in cluster. So we can buy MCS7825 server or take equivalent and put in production without any cost?

what if you can't migrate the licenses from the old server?  is there another way to retrieve the licenses?

boonchin.ng
Level 1
Level 1

Would to know, if upgrade to CUCM 8.x, from CUCM 7.1. Under UCSS coverage, and direct upgrade on existing MCS server. Will the unused DLUs migrated over to CUCM 8.x as well?

Thanks!

For both @boonchin.ng and @gestrada2727, I can say that licensing team usually solves your problems, and if you can back your case with the help of your local Cisco AM/SE teams, it would be much better...

I did face a customer, where they had an existing 4.x implementation and wanted to buy new hw+cucm7.1+ucss, and even though it's not physically possible to export licenses from a 4.x server (as they don't exist), licensing team could help us (after some explanation by the local Cisco SE also). We ended up receiving enough DLUs for customer's existing phones, just as we expected.

Also, for migration from 7.1 to 8.x, the migration SKUs (for DLU to UCL) that you purchase plays a role... As long as you have enough DLU for the purchased amount of migration UCL, you'd end up with your aimed number of user licenses. But, you MUST buy enough UCL migrations...

For example, if you have 6K DLUs with around 2K phones (7911, let's say), you'd have to buy 2K Enh. UCL migration...

But, if you have 6K DLUs, with only 1K phones registered (let's assume 7911 again), you can either;

a) Go buy 1K migration: You'd end up with 1K UCLs, a few DLUs will be lost. (Or at least you'd bargain for those )

b) Go buy 2K migration: You'll end up with 2K UCLs, which after migrating your phones, you'll have 1K free for expansion.

These are my experiences, unfortunately I cannot speak on behalf of Cisco sales or Licensing teams...

I hope that's clear enough...

DLU are perpetual and will migrate over

Thanks

Srini

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: