cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM upgrade from 6.1(2) to 6.1(3b) - rollback problems...

andy_vvc2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have upgraded our test lab CUCM server from 6.1(2) to 6.1(3b). Although we have a genuine MCS server bought from Cisco, we run only the demo licencing on the server (simply because we only have a few test phones and gateways running on the server).  We have rebuilt this server a few times so we may have had more licences installed previously - the 'demo' licencing seems to allow me test all i need to.

The upgrade to 6.1(3b) seemed to go ok.   My only concern was the time it took after the CUCM server restarted for the IP phones to 'register' - seemed to take 30 mins or more before they jumped into life and re-registered etc?  Is that normal?  (I suspect the CallManager Service took a while to start?)

However, I have had a few problems when trying to rollback the upgrade to the older partition. I followed the Cisco doco and all seemed to work ok, the CLI showed it selecting the old partition on the reboot, and then starting services for 6.1(2) [lots of green [OK] messages etc)

• Upon the full restart of the server, i noticed that the CallManager Service and the Cisco Messaging Service were NOT running!   I tried all i could think of to get these to restart:Went to Service Activation – stopped and restarted the CallManager service and the other one.  Then went back to Feature Services. CallManager was ‘running’ then after i refresh the page it reverts to ‘Not Running’ !   IP Phones therefore do NOT register.
  • Tried a restart of the server (same partition) - Watching CLI during reboot – all green [OK] messages. No errors reported that i can see. IP phones still dont register when server restarts. The two services remain 'Not Running'
  • I then restarted using 'switch' and ran the upgraded CUCM version - this started fine, and all ran ok!  Phones regsitered, all seems fine!

I have attached a few screenshots, not sure if they are relevant or of any use.

Has anyone seen this issue before after an upgrade?  I am not overly comcerned becaue the 'upgrade' worked, but it would be nice to know i can rollback if i need to do incase of any issues.

Is there anywhere in CUCM i can check to see if the failed services are generating an error message or a reason for them not starting?

Thoughts appreciated

Rgds

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Andy,

Hope all is well buddy!

The problems you are seeing here are most likely "purely" License related due to the changes

that were implemented between 6.1(2) and 6.1(3). I don't see this being a problem with permanent

"production" Licenses. Have a look;

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Releases 7.1(2) and 6.1(3) introduce these licensing enhancements.

Description

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Releases 7.1(2) and 6.1(3) identify the state of a license; that is, if it is missing, if it is a demo license, or if it is an uploaded license. In addition, Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration warns you whether Cisco Unified Communications Manager currently operates with demo licenses, with an insufficient number of licenses, or with an incorrect software feature license.

GUI Changes

The following windows display the state of licenses in Cisco Unified Communications Manager

Administration:

- Cisco Unified Communications Manager currently operates with demo licenses, so upload the appropriate license files.

- Cisco Unified Communications Manager currently operates with an insufficient number of licenses, so upload additional license files.

- Cisco Unified Communications Manager does not currently use the correct software feature license. In this case, the Cisco CallManager service stops and does not start until you upload

the appropriate software version license and restart the Cisco CallManager service.

License File Upload (System > Licensing > License File Upload)-This window displays a message

that uploading the license file removes the demo licenses for the feature.

http://www.aironet.info/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/6_1_3/cucm-rel_note-613a.html#wp472518

Now for the Cisco Messaging Service

This is only used in "Legacy" integrations which I'm guessing is not
the setup for your lab, so you should be good to go here.

Cisco Messaging Interface Service

The Cisco Messaging Interface allows you to connect a simplified message desk interface (SMDI)-compliant external **Third Party** voice-mail system with the Cisco CallManager. The CMI service provides the communication between the voice-mail system and Cisco CallManager. The SMDI defines a way for a phone system to provide a voice-mail system with the information needed to intelligently process incoming calls.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please support CSC Helps Haiti

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8895

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8727

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Andy,

Hope all is well buddy!

The problems you are seeing here are most likely "purely" License related due to the changes

that were implemented between 6.1(2) and 6.1(3). I don't see this being a problem with permanent

"production" Licenses. Have a look;

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Releases 7.1(2) and 6.1(3) introduce these licensing enhancements.

Description

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Releases 7.1(2) and 6.1(3) identify the state of a license; that is, if it is missing, if it is a demo license, or if it is an uploaded license. In addition, Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration warns you whether Cisco Unified Communications Manager currently operates with demo licenses, with an insufficient number of licenses, or with an incorrect software feature license.

GUI Changes

The following windows display the state of licenses in Cisco Unified Communications Manager

Administration:

- Cisco Unified Communications Manager currently operates with demo licenses, so upload the appropriate license files.

- Cisco Unified Communications Manager currently operates with an insufficient number of licenses, so upload additional license files.

- Cisco Unified Communications Manager does not currently use the correct software feature license. In this case, the Cisco CallManager service stops and does not start until you upload

the appropriate software version license and restart the Cisco CallManager service.

License File Upload (System > Licensing > License File Upload)-This window displays a message

that uploading the license file removes the demo licenses for the feature.

http://www.aironet.info/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/6_1_3/cucm-rel_note-613a.html#wp472518

Now for the Cisco Messaging Service

This is only used in "Legacy" integrations which I'm guessing is not
the setup for your lab, so you should be good to go here.

Cisco Messaging Interface Service

The Cisco Messaging Interface allows you to connect a simplified message desk interface (SMDI)-compliant external **Third Party** voice-mail system with the Cisco CallManager. The CMI service provides the communication between the voice-mail system and Cisco CallManager. The SMDI defines a way for a phone system to provide a voice-mail system with the information needed to intelligently process incoming calls.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please support CSC Helps Haiti

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8895

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8727

Fantastic response Rob!  Many thanks!  I have documented the findings on the upgrade path so far (6.12 to 6.13b). Next step is to upgrade the test lab 6.13b to 6.1(5).

Rgds

Hi Andy,

Good stuff my friend!

Keep us updated on your progress.Good luck

Cheers!

Huff

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: