Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM upgrade from 8.6 to 11.5

jai.malik
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I am upgrading my CUCM from 8.6 to 11.5. Both are VM based. I just have a few clarifications as follows:

1. Do i need only 2 cop files to be installed on the old CUCM ? RSA keys and disk_reallocation ?

2. When I choose the iso files in the VM, does it need to be bootable or non bootable iso ? 

3. How do I setup Licensing for the new CUCM after upgrading ?

4. I will take a backup of the CUCM 8.6 from DRS and save it. After upgradation, if I want to restore the settings (Lines,phones,users,etc etc) on the new CUCM, can i do a simple restore. will this work? Other wise what is the right way?

Thanks you so much for your help guys and really learning a lot from all your inputs.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Jai,

For licensing, u can run  LCU[license count utility] . You need to download from below site using CCOid

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=283782839&softwareid=282204704&release=LCU

You can run from PC from where Call Manager Publisher is reachable.

This would give breakup of UCL Enhanced /Enhanced Plus /CUWL licenses along with DLUs installed , used and Unused

regds,

aman

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Adarsh Chauhan
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Jai,

1) Refer: COP file required

2) Non-bootable

3) Refer: Migrate License

4) backup of 8.6 will not work on 11.5. when you upgrade (different from migration) an existing system the database of 8.6 is copied to 11.5, so you will have all the devices in the upgraded systems.

Please rate and mark if helpful

Regards,

Adarsh Chauhan

Please rate and mark correct if helpful
Regards,
Adarsh Chauhan

Hi Adarsh, Thanks for your response,

2. If you see this video, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml_z4YUgsBw), at 11:46 he chooses the bootable file from the datastore? 

4.I believe this will be a refresh upgrade where the OS will be changed as well. In this case could you let me know how to get the backup working on the upgraded CUCM ? or basically how can i get the setting on 11.6 without having to reconfigure the entire call manager from scratch.

Thanks,

Jai

Hi Jai,

I saw the video however for the upgrade you do not need to use bootable.

Also, as i said if you upgrade your system sitting on 8.6 to 11.5, you will have a 11.5 system with all the configuration from 8.6 and you can then take the backup of the 11.5 system.

if you are migrating (building new system of 11.5, leaving existing 8.6 system untouched), then the procedure would be different.

UPGRADE:

A direct upgrade is when the new software will be installed on the same physical server and the same virtual server where the currently installed version is running

2 types:standard upgrade and refresh upgrade(underlying os changes)

MIGRATION:

A migration is an upgrade where the new software will be installed on a different hardware system or virtual machine than the currently installed version

2 types:simple migration and network migration

refer:

upgrades vs migrations

Regards,

Adarsh Chauhan

Regards,
Adarsh Chauhan

Hi Jai,

For licensing, u can run  LCU[license count utility] . You need to download from below site using CCOid

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=283782839&softwareid=282204704&release=LCU

You can run from PC from where Call Manager Publisher is reachable.

This would give breakup of UCL Enhanced /Enhanced Plus /CUWL licenses along with DLUs installed , used and Unused

regds,

aman

Thank you Aman. you just made my life easier !!

Thank you ver much Adarsh. Appreciate your help

For this upgrade, you need to order the upgrade media via PUT, often you receive the bootable media, and it can be used for the upgrade, CUCM will have no problem recognizing the file.

And it's VERY important that an upgrade is NOT THE SAME as a migration, and to not use the term as interchangeable.

If you're upgrading, you do not have to worry about your data, your data will be there, you're upgrading on the same HW/VM.

if you're migrating, you need to move your data via PCD or DRS from your original cluster to a new cluster.

Now, are you doing an upgrade??? Or a migration???

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Jaime,

In case I am migrating (not upgrade for sure),how can all my data up and running on the new CUCM 11.x. Could you let me know how it can be done in case of migration via PCD as well as OS admin ? From what I have read,backup on 8.6 and restore on 11.x will not work due to version issues.

Thanks,

Jai

Two basic options:

A) PCD migration, see my other video (it's in the same playlist)

B) Install 8.6 on the new server, DRS restore from the old server, then upgrade to 11.x

A 3rd option, but this means a LOT of work, use BAT, but just as with DRS, the BAT format is different between CUCM releases, and you would need to manually adjust the 8.6 BAT files, to the 11.x BAT format in order to import the data.

HTH

java

Thank you Jamie.

Appreciate your help and guidance.

Jai

can you explain BAT type modal or pcd ?

https://youtu.be/2C_gy_XmBmE

BAT you need to get an export from both systems, find out what is different on the newer release, and adjust as necessary before you try to import it.

HTH

java

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: