Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM upgrade question.

gilang ramadhan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a CUCM Cluster that consist of 4 Servers (1 pub and 3 subs). I am planning to upgrade the CUCM Cluster from version 8.6 to 11.5. I can't use the PCD because of the bandwidth limitation, so i am planning to do it manually. I will install the server on different VM (new server cluster) so i will not touch the production cluster.

The step i know is, i need to fresh install a new cluster, then do backup on old cluster and then restore on the new cluster (for all of the 4 servers) then do the upgrade process on the new cluster (for all of the 4 servers). The point is, this method is time consuming because i need to upgrade every server in the new cluster from 8.6 to 11.5 (after the restore step).

The question is, can i only restore the publisher to the new cluster, then i upgrade the publisher to 11.5, and after that i fresh install all the 3 subs (directly to 11.5 version), so that the subs will replicate the database from the publisher. so i don't need to restore and upgrade the subs from the version 8.6 to 11.5. It will save me lot of time.

Is it possible to do that way?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Gilang,

I know its very late but better be late than never. I just saw this post :)

//"can i only restore the publisher to the new cluster, then i upgrade the publisher to 11.5, and after that i fresh install all the 3 subs (directly to 11.5 version), so that the subs will replicate the database from the publisher. so i don't need to restore and upgrade the subs from the version 8.6 to 11.5. It will save me lot of time."//

You could do that but if you have a specific role for any sub like TFTP, then the Sub tftp components backed up are not restored as the pub restore only restores the complete DB and Pub components.

//is it possible i changed the ip address of the subscriber(not deleting and adding them back) on the publisher with the new one, then we fresh install the subs with the new ip address?. whether this method will cause dbreplication to break.//

After upgrading the Pub to 11.5, you could add a new subscriber in Pub system --> server and then install the sub with the new IP address. Once its up and replicated properly, delete the old subscriber in the list. This way it is less drastic for DB replication.

HTH
Rajan
Pls rate all useful posts

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

gilang ramadhan
Level 1
Level 1

"can i only restore the publisher to the new cluster, then i upgrade the publisher to 11.5, and after that i fresh install all the 3 subs (directly to 11.5 version), so that the subs will replicate the database from the publisher. so i don't need to restore and upgrade the subs from the version 8.6 to 11.5. It will save me lot of time."

i was test in my lab, and that's way is working.

my additional question,is it possible i changed the ip address of the subscriber(not deleting and adding them back) on the publisher with the new one, then we fresh install the subs with the new ip address?. whether this method will cause dbreplication to break.

Thank you.

Hi Gilang,

I know its very late but better be late than never. I just saw this post :)

//"can i only restore the publisher to the new cluster, then i upgrade the publisher to 11.5, and after that i fresh install all the 3 subs (directly to 11.5 version), so that the subs will replicate the database from the publisher. so i don't need to restore and upgrade the subs from the version 8.6 to 11.5. It will save me lot of time."//

You could do that but if you have a specific role for any sub like TFTP, then the Sub tftp components backed up are not restored as the pub restore only restores the complete DB and Pub components.

//is it possible i changed the ip address of the subscriber(not deleting and adding them back) on the publisher with the new one, then we fresh install the subs with the new ip address?. whether this method will cause dbreplication to break.//

After upgrading the Pub to 11.5, you could add a new subscriber in Pub system --> server and then install the sub with the new IP address. Once its up and replicated properly, delete the old subscriber in the list. This way it is less drastic for DB replication.

HTH
Rajan
Pls rate all useful posts