Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM with UCSS

CSCO11256353
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all, i have a pre sales question.

i have propsed a CUCM 8.X to a custome along with UCSS support for 3 years which is mendatory.

in order for the UCSS upgrade to work does CON-ESW part numbers are also required as well.

i am very confused in this senerio.

Regards

Muhammad

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

UCSS and ESW and SMARTnet Services Contracts

SMARTnet – purchased on hardware e.g. MCS servers or IOS gateways

Essential Software support  (ESW) - is SMARTnet equivalent for software.  It gets you TAC support, minor bug updates, collateral and software advisor and case collection. ESW does not provide major upgrades. Available in 1yr, 3yr and 5yr.  In the old days this was the “SAS” part of “SASU”. It is strongly recommended that ESW contract term matches UCSS contract term.

Unified Communications Software Subscription (UCSS) – Used to access major software upgrades for UC customers.  Covers most on premise UC products today such as CUCM, CUP, Unity Connection etc. Usually purchased in 1yr (Government customers only), 3yr, or 5yr terms  With Cisco Workspace Licensing (CUWL) UCSS is mandatory.  In the old days this use to be referred to as the “U” in “SASU”.  Generally is the most cost effective way to acquire the upgrades as opposed to paying for the major upgrade when you come round to doing so.  A major software version is moving from CUCM 7.1 to say 8.X it is a major upgrade and only accessible if you have a  UCSS.  UCSS is not software! Nor is it the upgrade - it is the right to upgrade. It’s a Product Authorisation Key (PAK) code delivered physically (a piece of paper) or electronically (an email).

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

skilambi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

ESW is a requirement for UCSS. UCSS sits on top of ESW

Thanks

Srini

that mean if i have ordered below part numbers it will be enough for the feature upgrade to work

CUWL-LIC-STD-K9Unified Workspace Licensing - Top Level for STD1
LIC-UWL-STDUnified Workspace Licensing STD, 1 User250
UCSS-UWL-STD3-Yr UWL STD UCSS250
CON-ESW-CMBUNDK9ESSENTIAL SW CCX 8.5 5 Seat CCX ENH CM Bundle - AVAIL1
CON-ESW-CUWLSTDKESSENTIAL SW Unified Workspace Lic-Top Lvl for STD1
CON-ESW-UWLST1ESSENTIAL SW Svcs Mapping SKU,Under 1k UWL STD users250

Also i would love to know if there is EDELIVERY for part number= LIC-UWL-STD.

Yes because you have ESW/UCSS

Thanks

Srini

that mean the upgrade process has nothing to do with CUCM version and depents on the UCSS and ESW of CUWL licenses only.

Also the smartnet on the server is for the hardware of the server hosting CUCM services.

UCSS and ESW and SMARTnet Services Contracts

SMARTnet – purchased on hardware e.g. MCS servers or IOS gateways

Essential Software support  (ESW) - is SMARTnet equivalent for software.  It gets you TAC support, minor bug updates, collateral and software advisor and case collection. ESW does not provide major upgrades. Available in 1yr, 3yr and 5yr.  In the old days this was the “SAS” part of “SASU”. It is strongly recommended that ESW contract term matches UCSS contract term.

Unified Communications Software Subscription (UCSS) – Used to access major software upgrades for UC customers.  Covers most on premise UC products today such as CUCM, CUP, Unity Connection etc. Usually purchased in 1yr (Government customers only), 3yr, or 5yr terms  With Cisco Workspace Licensing (CUWL) UCSS is mandatory.  In the old days this use to be referred to as the “U” in “SASU”.  Generally is the most cost effective way to acquire the upgrades as opposed to paying for the major upgrade when you come round to doing so.  A major software version is moving from CUCM 7.1 to say 8.X it is a major upgrade and only accessible if you have a  UCSS.  UCSS is not software! Nor is it the upgrade - it is the right to upgrade. It’s a Product Authorisation Key (PAK) code delivered physically (a piece of paper) or electronically (an email).

thank you very much for the explanation.

Hi Inderpal,

Can you clear something up for me please, why when NEW-UWL-STD is purchased for standard user then UCSS-U-UWL-STD-3-1 is automatically added per user.

To my understanding UCSS-U-UWL-STD-3-1 is for support and major software upgrades but why is it charged per user and why is it mandatory? Is UCSS-U-UWL-STD-3-1 notordered when UCS servers and CUCM and so software is ordered?

I would just like to explain to my customer why he has to pay for the 3 Year software license when he purchase standard user licenses.

txs,

If you are a Cisco partner and member of the Cisco Partner Community, then I recommend you post this to the Product Licensing space for more appropriate feedback.

Product Licensing

Hope that helps.

Kelli Glass

Moderator for the Cisco Customer Communites

When you purchase Unified Workspace Licensing (UWL), UCSS is required. Thats a rule with UWL. When you purchase User Connect Licensing (UCL), UCSS is highly recommended but not mandatory.

Both these licensing options (UWL and UCL) are per-user based licensing schemes, and any accompanying UCSS is based on the user count.

UCS servers and other hardware such as gateways and switches have hardware support services (eg. Smartnet) attached to them. Software and applications such as UWL, CUCM or CCX have support and minor upgrade subscription services (ESW) as well as major upgrade subscription services (UCSS) attached to them.

Inderpal Oberoi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In addition to what Sri said, Cisco ESW is a requirement when purchasing Cisco UCSS. It is strongly recommend that you purchase Cisco UCSS and ESW for matching terms. If you buy ESW for a lesser term than Cisco UCSS, you must renew your ESW contract for every year that you have a Cisco UCSS contract. It is the ESW contract that validates your entitlement to updates through the Cisco Product Upgrade Tool (PUT) after purchasing a Cisco UCSS.

ESW gets you TAC support, minor bug updates, collateral and software advisor and case collection.

Cheers

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: