Views
Helpful
Replies

CUP cluster and DNS configuration

asherif82
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

I'm building a new cluster of cisco presence 8.6(4) for one of our customer and they are using DNS server in their enviroment. I'm wondering should i go in the direction of adding domain and dns while performing the installation of the presence servers or not.

My concern is mainly that I already installed a cluster for CUCM 8.6.2 Pub and Sub and didnot install dns and domain while performing the initial setup as and already uploaded the licenses. (Of course if i add domain and dns on the CUCM cluster the license will be invalid and i have to go through the process of contacting cisco@licencing team to change the license to the new mac address.

So what is the recommendation?

Need help guys,

Thanks,

Amr Sheirf                  

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Everyone will have their own opinion here; however, I configure CUP/Jabber to be all DNS-based. There are a few features that only work with DNS (e.g. XMPP federation with TLS and SIP PUBLISH with failover). On top of that very few people outside of the telecom group would declare using IP addresses for everything best practice. I cannot think of a single application I use (besides CUCM) by IP address instead of DNS.

The recent revelation I had on CUP DNS though is that you should set the server DNS domain and SIP/XMPP Proxy Domain name to your public root domain (e.g. cisco.com) not your internal domain if it differs (e.g. na.cisco.local). It's the only way you'll get XMPP federation to work with TLS.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

View solution in original post

Hi,

I have recently configured CUP with DNS and UCM with IP addressing and have had no problems. However this was at the customers request.
Moving forward I will be deploying UCM 9 with DNS for integration purposes and as DNS is become more relied on and as such is generally highly available.

CUP really requires DNS especially with Jabber for windows and fed as pointed out above.

As for CUPs UCM gateway IP/hostname and failover I had no choice but to use a DNS HW load balancer. Apparently you can use a SRV record but I could not get CUP to accept the record ID as a valid parameter.

I would say we are all moving to a DNS based deployment due to the IPv6 movement.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Everyone will have their own opinion here; however, I configure CUP/Jabber to be all DNS-based. There are a few features that only work with DNS (e.g. XMPP federation with TLS and SIP PUBLISH with failover). On top of that very few people outside of the telecom group would declare using IP addresses for everything best practice. I cannot think of a single application I use (besides CUCM) by IP address instead of DNS.

The recent revelation I had on CUP DNS though is that you should set the server DNS domain and SIP/XMPP Proxy Domain name to your public root domain (e.g. cisco.com) not your internal domain if it differs (e.g. na.cisco.local). It's the only way you'll get XMPP federation to work with TLS.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your reply .However I'm still considering all points while deploying the cluster just to have it all together.One point you mentioned which I have to consider is the failover as you said it only works with DNS but nothing else. In such case I have to configure Callmanager gateway on the presence for the CUCM PUB and SUB or how the failover will be fulfilled in case i choose the active/standby mode not the balanced mode.

Other thing is that can i deploy dns on cup server only while not deploying it on the cucm or this will be considered as a mixed mode enviroment and not supported from cisco.

Please clarify the above two points so i can make my mind

Thanks for your help

Regrads,

Amr Sherif

Hi,

I have recently configured CUP with DNS and UCM with IP addressing and have had no problems. However this was at the customers request.
Moving forward I will be deploying UCM 9 with DNS for integration purposes and as DNS is become more relied on and as such is generally highly available.

CUP really requires DNS especially with Jabber for windows and fed as pointed out above.

As for CUPs UCM gateway IP/hostname and failover I had no choice but to use a DNS HW load balancer. Apparently you can use a SRV record but I could not get CUP to accept the record ID as a valid parameter.

I would say we are all moving to a DNS based deployment due to the IPv6 movement.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thanks guys for your support, I'll go ahead and deploy it with DNS