cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUPC 7.0.2 Randomly Showing Limited Connectivity

Paul Gaydos
Level 1
Level 1

I have one computer among thousands that has CUPC 7.0.2 installed on it that is having an issue.  The issue that the user is having is that they sometimes have limited connectivity on their client when logging in first thing in the morning.  They will go throughout the day with this limited connectivity.  The next day, he will come in and login with a full connection and no problems at all.  I have checked the network settings several times and have determined it is not a network issue.  The only thing I can think of is some type of software of setting on the computer causing the client not to connect to the primary of backup presence server.  When the problem is happening, I can successfully ping the presence server.  I tried adding the information to the hosts file that other people have recommended and that does nothing to fix this issue.  .

The only thing that has changed is that the user got a different computer with a new image, same computer specs as before, just a clean image.  I am not sure what could be causing this user to not always having a normal connection.  Everything else is working as normal with CUPC and the strangest part is that the issue is totally random.

Any help would be much appreciated on what to check concerning this limited connectivity issue.

Thanks!

7 Replies 7

Paul Gaydos
Level 1
Level 1

I have attached the problem report from this user's computer who is have trouble with his Communicator randomly showing limited connectivity.  The problem is still happening and I am still having difficulty determining what the problem may be.  I am still thinking it is something on his laptop, like a piece of software, that my be interfering with Communicator's network connectivity.  Any suggestions on what to check would be helpful. 

Thanks!

Paul,

I would be glad to help you take a look into this, unfortunately the problem report is not set to detailed.  Please have the user go and select Help -> Enable detailed logging and close / re-open the client to make the settings take effect.  Once you can reproduce the limited connectivity issue immediately collect a detailed problem report.

This problem is usually related to the sequencing of SIP messages used to connect to the presence engine.  The issue will be specific to the SIP Register sent to CUPS not getting the proper response.  This can be for many reason and will probably require detailed SIP Proxy and Presence Engine logs as well.  I would suggest during the next re-occurance you collect all 3 (CUPC Problem report, SIP Proxy logs, and Presence Engine logs).  Please ensure they are set to the detailed level before proceeding.

Regards,

Jason

This morning, the user's Communicator started acting up again and showing limited connectivity.  For the past couple of days, it has been working fine without any problems.  I collected the three logs as requested and have attached them below.  Please let me know if you can see what may be causing this random connectivity issue for this one users.  Thanks! 

Well, looks like those other two logs are not uploading...maybe becuase of their file size being to large.  Not sure the max size for attachments on this site.

Paul,

In the logs there are a number of 503 responses to the SIP Registers used to get into a fully connected state.  Around the time this occurs we see the following:

DEBUG | 20110829-075907.859 |  | RESIP:DNS | 2224 | DnsResult.cxx:184 | DnsResult::lookup sip:svrwebg206.webster.edu:5060;transport=tcp;lr

67: INFO | 20110829-075907.859 |  | RESIP:TRANSACTION | 2224 | TransactionState.cxx:1280 | Ran out of dns entries for svrwebg206.webster.edu. Send 503

It looks like there are DNS issues resolving svrwebg206.webster.edu which I assume is the presence server FQDN.  Please double check that this host name is resolveable from the client machine.

Regards,

Jason

I checked both svrwebg206.webster.edu and sverwebg205.webster.edu from the user's machine and was able to resolve with their IP addresses of 10.0.144.106 and 10.0.144.105.  I am also able to connect to the Cisco Presence Administration page for both servers from his machine.  I keep on thinking that it is something with his laptop and not necessarily a network issue.  His firewall is turned off and I have ran virus checks to make sure it is not something with that which would effect the network connection on this laptop.

I am still having troubles with issue.  The problem still comes up about 1 - 2 days a week without question.  It will either work the whole day or not.  It is not like it is working 1 hour, and then next next hour it stops working. 

I tried everything and anything from the networking standpoint of things.  Is there anything on the Windows side of things that may be causing this issue? 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: