Helpful
Replies

CUPC 8.6 Login Server

a.mehmood
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

following scenario:

CUPS 8.6 Cluster of 2 Nodes. Clients using CUPC 8.6. DNS SRV Record _cuplogin._tcp.company.com is configured and is working fine. Thing we noticed is, when a user login to CUPS by using DNS SRV Record or A Record, hostname is resolved to an IP address and this IP address is saved somehow in the CUPC config instead of the initial DNS SRV or A Record. So next time before the user login, you can see, there is always an IP address in the Server Address field.

I don't know if this is the right behaviour of CUPC (hope not), as it would destroy the CUPS/CUPC High Aavailabilty dream anyway

regards

5 Replies 5

a.mehmood
Level 1
Level 1

I just figured out, that it seems like the CUPS is pushing the IP address of the node, the client is homed, to the client. As the bothe CUP Servers are configured with IP address in the Cluster Topology.

But it still doesn't make sense to me, to have an IP address or Hostname of a single CUPS as login server. Now how do I implement the backup login server without user intervention, if the first CUPS (user was homed last time and its IP/Hostname is saved as login server) is down?

Hi

Does it not fall back to resolving the cuplogin SRV record when the last used server is not available?

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

I'm not sure. Once the Local cache file is populated, it uses it. Deployment guide states:

Cisco Unified Personal Communicator uses the following logon process when making use of the DNS SRV feature:

1. Application start up.

2. Local cache file is checked for server address.

3. If the cache file does not have the address, the local registry is checked for the server address.

4. If the local registry does not have the address, a DNS request is made against the connection specific suffix. If that fails the default Active Directory domain is queried.  If the registry is populated, a DNS SRV request is made against the  value in the registry. If the registry is populated and the DNS SRV  request against the registry value fails, the registry value is put into  the Login Address field in Cisco Unified Personal Communicator.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/cups/8_6/english/install_upgrade/deployment/guide/deploy.html#wp1102338

Hi

I would verify that you have the SRV records correctly set up, and then test the ability to log in when a server is down.

And then worry about it if it doesn't work.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

SRV records are correct and we'll test it shortly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: