I've just upgraded CUPS from 6.0.2 to 8.6.4. In my ActiveDirectory, 2 types of entries are used to populate CUPS contacts: users (for employees) and contacts (for hunt-pilots, external partners...) .
On CUPS 6, I was using CUPS 7 and LDAP search worked well.
On CUPS 8, I use CUPS 8.6.3 and the ldap serach results are totaly bogus. If I add a ldap filte in the ldap profile such (&(objectClass=user) the user search is ok but obviously I can't find the contact objects. I tried Jabber client I have the same issue.
Question are contact ldap objectClass supported in version 8
Solved! Go to Solution.
CUPC never supported contact objects as documented here
There is inherent problem with contact objects as they don't have the following attributes
The userid is derived from the above attributes (or the telephonenumber attribute) and obviously this poses a problem
Most likely the same applies to Jabber (unless of course you use CUCM UDS to search for users)
For related information please refer the following document -
Thanks and Regards,