Views
Helpful
Replies

CUPC 8 softphone mode

f.giordano
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We upgraded our CUPS 7.0(5) to 8.0(2) and our client from CUPC 7 to 8.

Everything is working fine but I noticed something very strange.

When placing call in softphone mode from CUPC 8 to an other phone, the call is placed and connection established, but from CUPC point of view, he always show me that I'm running a conference call. The first part is Myself, the second part is the called number and the third part is Myself again.

It's very strange and it happens on every CSF client we tested (5 different account).

I already tried to restart CUCM (7.1(5)) and CUPS without success.

Please look at the screenshot attached.

Thanks for your help

Fabian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

OK, maybe I missed something, but I did see this in the CUPC 8.0 release notes:

Using Address Translation Patterns Instead of Application Dialing Rules

Cisco Unified Personal Communicator is easiest to install with Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 7.0 or later, although you can install it with Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 6.1(3) or later.

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 7.0 and later support +E.164 phone numbers. Cisco recommends that you use +E.164 phone numbers with Cisco Unified Personal Communicator, so that outgoing calls are easier to set up.

If you are using Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 7.0 or later, Cisco recommends that you use address translation patterns to set up outbound calls, rather than application dialing rules.

If you use application dialing rules, you must apply a Cisco Options Package (COP) file. You must restart Cisco Unified Communications Manager services when you update the rules. If you use address translation patterns, the rules are dynamically applied, and you do not need to restart services.

Does this not fit your problem, if not sorry, was trying to help.

Doug

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

htluo
Level 9
Level 9

This is a known issue.

When a call is connected, CSF is doing two kinds of number lookup -

1) via CUCM

2) via LDAP

If the number was different in CUCM and LDAP, CSF treats them as two different person.

This should be fixed in next maintenance release.

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com

Thanks Michael

One more thing is related to CallRouting from CUPC 8 and + dialing.

What pattern are matched and in which order ? Because I'm little bit confused now since + dialing from CUPC 8 client seems to be different from CUPC 7.

I though it was Application Dial Rule ==> Translation Pattern ==> Route Pattern, could you confirm ?

Thanks again

Regards

Fabian

CUPC (both 7 and 8) applies ADR (Application Dial Rule) before sending the number to CUCM.

How CUCM handles that number is out of CUPC control.

What behavior have you observed?

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com

Ok let me explain you what happens.

Our country code is 352 (Luxembourg), I have several application dial rule that remove +352 and prefix with 0 (outside code). Then I have a simple RP with 0.! which is routed to PSTN gateway.

When I dial from CUPC (softphone) the number +352 555555, it should remove +352 (according to app dial rule) and prefix with 0. So at this step the number should be 0555555 and then should match the RP 0.!. However this is not the current behaviour.

I can see on CUPC that the dialed number ( +352 555555 ) is transformed into  "000352 555555" instead of "055555".

So the call is working that's not the issue, but Called party transformation is not correct. I'm looking for 2 days now on CUCM which rule can do such a thing ( remove the + and adding 000 ) but without success.

In attachment you'll find my App Dial Rules (sorry for that but Luxembourg Dial Plan is a nightmare, PSTN number range is from 6 digits to 10 digits)

Thanks

Fabian

Did you run the .cop file that imports the App dial rules for CUPC 8?

No I didn't do that again when upgrading from CUPC 7 to CUPC 8.

When I run the command "run sql select * from applicationdialrule" from CUPS cli, I see that all rules are correctly set.

Fabian

OK, maybe I missed something, but I did see this in the CUPC 8.0 release notes:

Using Address Translation Patterns Instead of Application Dialing Rules

Cisco Unified Personal Communicator is easiest to install with Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 7.0 or later, although you can install it with Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 6.1(3) or later.

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 7.0 and later support +E.164 phone numbers. Cisco recommends that you use +E.164 phone numbers with Cisco Unified Personal Communicator, so that outgoing calls are easier to set up.

If you are using Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 7.0 or later, Cisco recommends that you use address translation patterns to set up outbound calls, rather than application dialing rules.

If you use application dialing rules, you must apply a Cisco Options Package (COP) file. You must restart Cisco Unified Communications Manager services when you update the rules. If you use address translation patterns, the rules are dynamically applied, and you do not need to restart services.

Does this not fit your problem, if not sorry, was trying to help.

Doug

Doug,

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Since + dialing is now supported with CUCM v7 or above, it may make sense to remove app dial rules and and use Translation patterns for both CUPC and DeskPhones.

I will try to remove all my app dial rules tonight and replace with translation pattern (I hope Address translation pattern and Translation pattern are the same things )

I will let you know.

Thanks

Fabian

Do you know the bug id this issue is tied to?  I cannot find it in the bug database.

Please help us make the communities better. Rate helpful posts!

f.giordano
Level 1
Level 1

Doug, Thanks for that. It works fine. I deleted all my app dial rules and created 4 Translation Pattern instead.

So all my devices (deskphone and CUPC) are using the same way to dial outside. So that's the first good point.

The second good point is that it solved my first issue (conferencing from softphone). Now I can make simple call from CUPC without entering in conference mode as described on my 1st post.

Fabian

Glad I could help....

Doug

Sorry my initial issue is not totally resolved in fact

Michael is right, there's a bug when placing call from CUPC in softphone mode.

Let's wait next release ^^

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: