Views
Helpful
Replies

[CUPC]Phone status in CUPC

Thomas P
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm using the CUPC sofware and I'm wondering if it's possible to see the phone state of a desktop phone (without CUPC soft).

For example, I added a desktop phone in my contacts list and I want to see the state of the phone (“On hook”, “Off hook”, "Hang up").

Thanks for your help.

Edit : my CUPC version is 8.5.1.17660

18 Replies 18

michael-luo
Level 1
Level 1

Yes.  This is the way it was designed.

Phone status was updated from CUCM to CUPS directly.  Thus you don't need a CUPC to "send" the phone status.

Michael

First, thanks for your answer.

I know, I don't need a CUPC to send the phone status. But what I want, it's to see the phone status in my contacts list, in the CUPC software.

You need to configure a SIP trunk between CUCM and CUPS to send presence status, it is described here

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cups/8_6/english/install_upgrade/deployment/guide/dgcucm.html

OK, I have already a trunk SIP beetween CUCM and CUPS but i'll check if I have the good parameters.

Have you configured the SIP subscribe CSS under the protocol section of the desk phone? The CSS needs to include the same partitions as the SIP trunk between CUCM & CUP

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

subscribe CSS under the protocol section of the desk phone is not needed for Presence to be shown in CUPC

the CUP PUBLISH Trunk must be choosen in Service Parameters > UCM Server > Call Manager Service >  Clusterwide Parameters (Device - SIP)

Ok, I did some tests and this a report :

- I assigned license capabilities to a desktop phone (System > Licensing > Capabilities Assignment), I check only "Enable CUP (Cisco Unified Presence)"

-My trunk SIP was in secure mode, so I change the option to "No secure"

The result is : now I see on the CUPC software when I hung up a phone associate to CUPC. But I don't see the status of the deskop phone (the status is disconnected).

I don't know if you understand what I want to do, but thanks a lot, I approach my goal.

What I want to do it's to see the phone status of a desktop phone (a phone with no CUPC association).

You may open a case with Cisco.  So they can verify the config with you.

Michael

I'm not really sure what you want to achieve? Do you want to see presence on a phone that is not associated to a cupc user? That is what I know not possible.

-  I assigned license capabilities to a desktop phone (System >  Licensing > Capabilities Assignment), I check only "Enable CUP (Cisco  Unified Presence)" - Capabilities are assigned to users and not to phones.

The  result is : now I see on the CUPC software when I hung up a phone  associate to CUPC. But I don't see the status of the deskop phone (the  status is disconnected). - Could yoou explain a little more what you meen with "a phone  associate to CUPC." Do you meen a cupc in softphone mode (CSF) or a deskphone controlled by CUPC?

-  I assigned license capabilities to a desktop phone (System >   Licensing > Capabilities Assignment), I check only "Enable CUP  (Cisco  Unified Presence)"

Yes, I made a mistake. What I meant it's I assigned a capabilities to a user and this user is only assigned to a deskphone.

Could yoou explain a little more what you meen with "a phone  associate to CUPC." ?

What I mean it's a user assigned to a deskphone (6961 for example) and to a "Cisco Unified Client Services Framework" phone type. So, in this case I see the phone status.

Do you want to see presence on a phone that is not associated to a cupc user? That is what I know not possible.

Yes, this what I want to do. So for you it's impossible, that is what I wanted to know. Thanks I have my answer

That is how it is supposed to work. Yoy need to have users assigned to the phones and capabilities assigned to the users to be able to see presence. What I know there is no way to see presence on phones that don't have any users assigned.

I have a user assigned to a phone (6961) and capatibilities (Enable CUP (Cisco  Unified Presence)) assigned to the user.

Hi Thomas,

Though I'm not sure I understand your question but there are always two ways for every problem:

1) Open a case with Cisco TAC and let them assist you troubleshoot.

or

2) Spend some time learning the product, such as understand the terminology, components, how things work, etc.  Take a look at

http://www.amazon.com/Deploying-Unified-Presence-Michael-HouTong/dp/0557039533

On the other hand, use accurate terminology can help others understand what you did.  Technically, there's no such thing called "assign user to a phone".

There are three different ways that we associate user with a phone device.  Each way has different purpose.

1) Associate a phone to an user

CUCM > User Management > End User > Associate Device

This is usually used for CTI control or phone authentication.

2) Associate an user to a line appearance

CUCM > Device > Phone > Line (DN) > Associate End user

This is usually used for phone presence (CUPS)

3) Designate an owner for the phone

CUCM > Device > Phone > Owner User ID

This is usually used for CDR (Call Detail Report).

There are many components that could potentially break phone presence, such as line appreance association, SIP trunk, user ID mapping (if CUCM was not LDAP integrated), etc.

I suggest you either open a case or read a book.

Thank you!

Michael

Ok, thank you for your time. So I have to spend more time to understand how things work and learn english (in France, we are bad ...).

Bye!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: