cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUPS 7.0 and VPN... is there anyway to get it to work?

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Mine is sporatic, it's driving me nuts. Sometimes I login and I get the correct presence of myself. I can change from DND to away, etc, idle works, etc. Somewhere in the night, it started to work on its own. I played around with it this morning and it was working. (could not see other status though.) I logged out and logged back in, now it's offline.

ASA is believe is 8.04 SSL vpn. I tried with IPSEC also and not much luck either.

8 Replies 8

htluo
Level 9
Level 9

Whether it's a CUPS/CUPC issue or a VPN issue is always a debatable topic.

Technically, it's a network issue. But the arguing point is "why other applications work fine except CUPC?"

This is due to the "call-back" in SIP.

For most of other application, the client (your laptop) initiate the connection to server. Server returns traffic to the source port. Most of the firewall/VPN was designed to cater this kind of traffic pattern.

For CUPC, the client tells the server what port the client is listening. Whenever there's an update, the server initiate the connection to the "call-back" port. Most of firewall/VPN will block this kind of traffic because it's considered "intrusion" to the client.

WAN optimizer (WAAS) would also add complexity to the picture. The symptom is TCP handshake failed.

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com

Steven Griffin
Level 4
Level 4

By default CUPS uses a UDP based SIP Proxy. SIP over UDP tends to get clobbered by firewalls. Change the proxy to use TCP based signaling instead, under the Personal Communicator section, and see if that doesn't make your CUPC client behave better.

Please help us make the communities better. Rate helpful posts!

The default is TCP. in the SIP proxy I changed from UDP to TCP also, but no change.

When I troubleshoot Cisco Presence I generally start at the same switch the server is connected to and verify functionality. Then I go downstream to the next switch and so on until it breaks. From there you can figure out what the switch/router/firewall/VPN is doing to Presence.

Please help us make the communities better. Rate helpful posts!

nwkotze
Level 1
Level 1

If you look at the Server Health in CUP Client, you will see the Client unable to connect to presence. If so edit the host files of the OS and include the fully qualified domain name of The CUP Server.

Also make sure DNS is configured properly Inc DHCPLease the VPN Client get, CUCM, CUPS etc... It's all DNS!! Also best to upgrade to the latest CUPS update! Nico

arlincurtis
Level 1
Level 1

I had the same issue. Telling the ASA not to inspect SIP traffic under my global_policy solved it. Just depends if you want to do that or not..

yeah, we turned that off also but it still bounces the presence status up and down. thanks!

Sounds similar to this bug

CSCsx73329

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: