Views
Helpful
Replies

CUPS 7 upgrade to CUPS 8 in VMWare

potan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ;

i did a lab test install with CUCM 7.1 and CUPS 7.1 in VMware version, no issue and CUPC 7 able login. I manage upgrade for CUPS 7 to CUPS 8, but CUPC 8 not able login. I verify that and found out the Presence Engine and SIP Proxy service no able start. In CLI i get the prompt message "PENoSWVersionLicense: Cisco Unified Presence Engine: failed to start". I did verify the below web site, it is license issue.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cups/8_0/english/error_msg/error/messages/cupalarms.html

How to get the VMware license for CUPS 8 in VMware version ? Pls advice. Thanks.

rgds

tan

6 Replies 6

phooghen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You need to purchace a license since there is a license enforcement with CUPS 8.x.

Please check the following URL at the license section:

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/High-level_Checklist_for_Design_and_Implementation

Pierre

Pierre ;

but this is just for lab testing purpose not for customer, or any where to get demo license for 90day it some thing like in CUPS 7 demo license ? Thanks.

rgds

tan

I understand this is for a lab setup.

I don't know how to get a demo license.

Sorry about it.

Pierre.

Demo license is only for fresh install.

I had the same problem, and only solution was to do a new fresh install of the CUPS 8.

Bascially to upgrade from CUP 7 to 8 the system can be in evaluation mode but you would need a software version licence for CUP upgrade to 8.x.

muranskycotech
Level 1
Level 1

You can e-mail licensing@cisco.com and they may issue a temporary license. Otherwise, you would need to contact your Cisco account executive to have them process it for you.

Either way, you're dead in the water until you have the license file issued. I ran into the same issue when I first rolled out a few months ago, because I originally purchased 7.1 after being misinformed about its support for VMware (it's not). Incidentally, you should probably look at going straight to 8.5 instead of 8.0, especially if you need to take advantage of integration with an Exchange 2007 SP2 or Exchange 2010 server.