cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUPS 8 Federation with Googletalk help

teddyromer
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to get federation working with googletalk and I'm stuck.  I have CUPS 8 with CUPC 8 clients.

I have defined the following SRV records:

_xmpp-server._tcp.conference-2.StandAloneCluster0e9fe.mydomain.com

and

_xmpp-server._tcp.mydomain.com
The port is 5269 and the hostname providing the service resolves to our external ip (let's call it 2.2.2.2).
2.2.2.2 port 5269 (tcp and udp) is NATd to CUPS 8 server.
Now looking at Google's website, they mention setting up SRV records a lot differently from what's on the CUPS 8.0 Federation guide.
Snippet from link:

While we're federating with a number of other services, some services aren't currently accessible through the Google Talk network, and your users won't be able to chat with users of those services.

If you'd like your users to have the ability to chat with people connected to the Google Talk network through federated networks, you'll need to edit your Service (SRV) records. You don't need to edit your SRV records for your users to chat with other Google Apps and Gmail users. SRV records are managed by your domain host. We suggest contacting your domain host to find out if you have access to SRV records and how you can make modifications.

When you enter the following information, make sure to replace gmail.com with your domain. Don't replace google.com.

_xmpp-server._tcp.gmail.com. IN SRV 5 0 5269 xmpp-server.l.google.com.
_xmpp-server._tcp.gmail.com. IN SRV 20 0 5269 xmpp-server1.l.google.com.
_xmpp-server._tcp.gmail.com. IN SRV 20 0 5269 xmpp-server2.l.google.com.
_xmpp-server._tcp.gmail.com. IN SRV 20 0 5269 xmpp-server3.l.google.com.
_xmpp-server._tcp.gmail.com. IN SRV 20 0 5269 xmpp-server4.l.google.com.
_jabber._tcp.gmail.com. IN SRV 5 0 5269 xmpp-server.l.google.com.
_jabber._tcp.gmail.com. IN SRV 20 0 5269 xmpp-server1.l.google.com.
_jabber._tcp.gmail.com. IN SRV 20 0 5269 xmpp-server2.l.google.com.
_jabber._tcp.gmail.com. IN SRV 20 0 5269 xmpp-server3.l.google.com.
_jabber._tcp.gmail.com. IN SRV 20 0 5269 xmpp-server4.l.google.com.

I'm basically lost and could really use some direction on how to enable federation with googletalk from CUPS 8.  I'm very new to XMPP...

I have CUPS 8 configured to "require TLS" as I saw it mentioned that Googletalk requires TLS. 

From CUPC 8 client, I go to "add a contact" and enter myusername@gmail.com and of course nothing happens.  Not seeing much traffic coming into the FW on that port so that makes me think something is missing... 

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ted

2 Replies 2

usmantaokeer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am also working on the same, were you able to do this? the guide says this:

Cisco Unified Presence supports XMPP federation with GoogleTalk over TCP. XMPP federation with GoogleTalk over TLS is not supported.

Regards,

Mani

Hi,

I try to establish a XMPP federation with google talk but didn’t work (without TLS).

Did you found the problem solution?

Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: