Views
Helpful
Replies

CUPS 9.1 + CM 9.1 Jabber First deployment

lorenz84gDD
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I'm deploying for the first time a jabber for windows client in an environment based on CM 9.1 and CUPS 9.1

I just finished configured the whole system but the jabber client fails to register to the CM.

I get the error: UnableToConnectToTheServer.

I configured the client to point to the IP of my cup server with a fake domain (don't know if this is correct).

On the CUP side under the provisioned user I correctly see the version of my jabber for window client.

Any ideas?

thanks for your help

lorenz

------- have a look to my blog lgrconsulting.com
4 Replies 4

Jason Newman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Lorenz,

From the description it sounds like you are having issues logging into the Jabber client correct?  The Fake domain isn't a problem and is fine.  But I'm not familiar with the error message you are refering to.  Normally it says "unable to communicate with server".  When this occurs I assume the application spins and hangs for a short while before returning that result?

If so you'll probably have issues resolving the hostname of the CUPS server specified under System -> Cluster Topology.   YOu'll see each of the CUPS nodes that you have are by default referenced by a hostname (unless you changed it to IP address).  So you should be able to do an nslookup for that exact hostname (no DNS suffix applied) and find the corresponding IP address.  If you cannot you can work to fix that to DNS, or simply click edit on each server and change the name to reflect the IP address of the server instead. 

After the changes please try launching the client again.

Regards,

Jason

Yes it worked by changing the server name to ip address. I succeded logging in.

Can I ask you one more question? I tried adding users to my contact list but I got a message with a red cross stating the system can't add users at the moment.

Any ideas why?

thanks

lorenz

------- have a look to my blog lgrconsulting.com

Lorenz,

I can't think of any specific reason why that might be occuring, but I would suggest restarting the

Cisco UP XCP Config Manager (first) and XCP Router service on all your nodes.  This could just be a lingering change notification that was lost when you updated the node names to IP's. 

Regards,

Jason

delgrundy
Level 1
Level 1

I am experiencing the same issue.  However, adding a dns suffix on my workstation resolved the hostname resolution problem.  I can now resolve CUPS server by hostname (only; no suffix) from the Jabber client workstation.  I have also verified that the SRV records exist on the DNS servers that advertise the tcp services properly yet I continue to get the "Cannot communicate with the server" error. 

CUCM version: 9.1.2

CUPS (IM & Presence) version: 9.1.1

Jabber Client version: 9.6.0 build 17088

I do NOT have an LDAP integration yet between CUCM and the enterprise directory service.  I understand the need for it to have proper contact resolution but I am in a piloting phase and need to keep a low profile for now.  I have noticed comments about this being a requirement for the 9.6 Jabber client but surely I can get the basic IM and presence up without it?? Thoughts?  Will rate generously for information that leads to a quick solution!  Thank you!

-mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: