Views
Helpful
Replies

CUPS LDAPs integration

g-georgiou
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am running Unified Presence and Unified CM v8.02 with LDAPs integration. I can succesfully see the end users in both systems and i can succesfully login to end user pages. From what i understand CUPS only uses direct LDAP for contact search where as authentication is done through AXL integration with the UCM. I have uploaded the CA certificate as directory-trust as well as cup-xmpp-trust, configured LDAP profile etc and restarted the relevant services. However i get an error in CUPS "Configuration of the service is invalid". I have even tried using Global Catalog integration with no success.

./G

12 Replies 12

Hey George,

It would be nice to tell us what you are trying to achieve to better help you with this.

Regards,

Christos

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you attach a screenshot of the LDAP Server and LDAP Profile? It may be something easy like an incorrectly formatted value.

Hi,

The 1st goal is to authenticate users in CUPC through LDAP and to be able to use CUPC for deskphone control (accomplished)

The 2nd goal is to be able to search through LDAP and add contacts and see the presence status. Just like the corporate directory

feature with presence information and user grouping.

As i mentioned the certificate imported is the CA certificate which signed the LDAP server certificate.

./G

Your Bind Distinguished Name (DN) is wrong. DN is a key LDAP term. This should look something like this:

CN=Full User Name,OU=People,DC=domain,DC=local

Where CN is the Display Name attribute of the Active Directory account. This is not the username!

I have tried this but the Cisco UP XCP Directory Service is not starting. I have also been using plain user for both Call Manager and Unity Connection.

How does this setup differ?

./G

The XCP Directory service is used for third-party clients, not CUPC. This is configured separately under the Application > Third Party Clients menu.

I still get the same error. I will try global catalog tomorrow and see.

./G

No luck with Global Cataloque. Is there any restrictions when using LDAPs with CA certificate? Do i also need to specify the CSF Certificate Directory under Application-CUPC-Settings and what is the format for this?

./G

I think i found the solution to the problem myself . I had to put the CA sertificate in the C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Application Data\Cisco\Unified Communications\Client Services Framework\certificates directory and configure the path \certificates in the Application->CUPC-CSF certificate directory

I can now search the directory with no issues and add contacts. When i add a contact it waits for confirmation from the end CUPC user.

I however have a bit simple (maybe stupid question), can a CUPC user add non-CUPC user phone presense if added as a contact?

I suspect that for this SIP is required to carry the presence information from the IP phone to the Presence server and then to the CUPC.

./G

Hi Jonathan,

Does this also apply to the newer CUPC clients using XMPP?  I am running CUP 8.5 and CUPC client 8.5.2.  The Cisco UP Directory Service fails to start however I can still search for users in the CUPC client using LDAP.

I just noticed the service down after a failure test scenario.  Unforuntely I dont know whether this service failed to start prior to the testing or was a result of the testing.  I am thinking since the lookups are still working that this service might have never started and isn't required for the CUPC 8.5.2 client and was hoping you could confirm that and I can just deactivate the service.

Thanks,

Marc

The deployment guide states that this service is used for third-party XMPP clients (e.g. Pidgin). CUPC does not utilize it.

Thanks for the prompt reply Jonathan.  Much appreciated.

Marc