Views
Helpful
Replies

DCOM Error Win2K3 SP1 + updated Permissions Wizard

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi all -

I just imported a Unity subscriber into one of the servers (4.0(5)) that I upgraded Windows 2003 to SP1 and ran the updated permissions wizard that corrects the DCOM problem with media master yesterday. I have attached the error to this post. The error is DCOM event 10016 - the machine default permission settings do not grant Local Activation for the COM server application ... I was on the Unity server's SA web authenticated with Unity admin account. I was logged onto workstation running IE with domain\userid that is a subscriber on the server and has an administrator COS in Unity. The Unity subscriber I imported was imported without other errors. Any help would be appreciated. Media master controls also working OK on this server.

Thanks in advance.

Ginger

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

1 more Dcom change.

I also had to add the same setting to AvDSGlobalCatalog to get the search features in SAWeb to work

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

fieldj
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same issue. I opened a case with TAC and haven't gotten any resolution yet.

Jim

Hi Jim -

Thanks for the update! I was having trouble getting to the TAC link to open a case yesterday and decided to post here first. Since you already have a case open, would you keep me posted? Either here or PM to kavang@saccounty.net would be appreciated.

Sincerely, Ginger

I have a conf. call some time tomorrow with TAC and an esclation engineer. I will let you know what they find.

Jim

fieldj
Level 1
Level 1

There are 2 workarounds currently:

1) Add the user who needs to have access to SA web to the local Administrators group

2) Modify 2 Dcom Config Entries. AvLic and AvCsGateway. Add the everyone group to Launch Permission and give it local launch and local activation. I have attached screen shots of this.

NOTE: Option 2 has not been completely test. It works fine for me but don't yell if it breaks something in your environment

Thanks,

Jim

I have done option 2 at one of my sites and it is working fine for 3 months.

Hi Jim -

Thank you very much for including the details (and the caution) to consider making this change. I did also select Option 2 and updated my three servers. I did not select Option 1 because I have COS implemented in each server's SA that dictate what privileges are granted to the Unity admins (for example we have some admins that only import/delete Unity accounts and do not manage call handlers, schedules, and the like. So Option 2 was a better work-around for me. I really appreciate your assistance!

Ginger

1 more Dcom change.

I also had to add the same setting to AvDSGlobalCatalog to get the search features in SAWeb to work

Hello all -

This was a great forum train! One additional update - making the changes recommended by Jim resolved another error I was getting importing subscribers using the SAWeb with my COS enabled userid. I had opened a TAC case on this following the Win2K3 SP1 apply. Although the subscriber would import, I would get this error in the application log if we used a COS-enabled user other than the Unity admin account:

Server.CreateObject(AvSaLocalization.AvSaLocalization.1) failed.

This is most likely an error with a DLL, probably AvSaLocalizationSvr.dll or

perhaps AvSaLocaleInfoSvr.dll.

Check that these files are present, and registered with REGSVR32. Also be sure that the appropriate MsgStoreRes.dll file is present. Cannot continue.

(From: Global.asa: hr=0x80070005). Once I made Jim's updates in Component Services for AvLic, AvCsGateway, and AvDSGlobalCatalog, the import errors ceased. I was able to close the TAC case with this information!

Sincerely, Ginger

We had the same problem with users getting the same error when going into SAWEB

"Server.CreateObject(AvSaLocalization.AvSaLocalization.1) failed.

This is most likely an error with a DLL, probably AvSaLocalizationSvr.dll or

perhaps AvSaLocaleInfoSvr.dll.......etc

This was with Unity 4.1.1, Windows 2003, Service Pack 1. Making all three DCOM changes outlined in this post solved our errors as well. Thank You!!!

How do I make these dcom config entires?

MARIO POIER
Level 4
Level 4

We are experiencing exactly the same problem. The attached BMPs have expired could someone please post them again.

Anyone able to post the outdated BMP's. I am experiencing this issue and need to resolve it quickly.

Here are the steps:

1. On the Unity Server: Start > Run > dcomcnfg

2. Expand Computers > My Computer > DCOM Config

3. Right click on each entry (AvLic, AvCsGateway, and AvDSGlobalCatalog) and choose Properties.

4. Click the Security tab

5. Under "Launch and Activation Permissions", click the "Customize" radio button

6. Click "Edit"

7. Add the Everyone group and give it "Local Launch" and "Local Activation" permissions.

-g

Had the same error (with the CLSID pointing to the AvRepDirSvrSvc), added the changes above + changed the Launch and activation for AvRepDirSvrSvc, now the reporting works.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: