cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Deploying Cisco Unified CM Assistant Console in CM 8.5

Susan Arbogast
Level 1
Level 1

Our business recently upgraded to Cisco Unified CM 8.5.  I discovered Assistant Console in the Applications - Plugins.  I have reviewed some of the documentation, but have a few questions. 

1.  Where do I find the complete documentation for deploying this application? I basically wanted to set up the necessary structure in CM, so I can install the application on my workstation and play with the software to see if the functionality is appropriate for our business.

2.   In CM,  System - Service Parameters - Server - Service:  Cisco IP Manager Assistant (Active), what Server be defined as Primary vs. Backup?

Cisco IPMA Server (Primary) IP Address

Cisco IPMA Server (Backup) IP Address 

Our VoIP environment is set up as a cluster with (1) Publisher, (1) Subscriber and (1) Virtual Server.  I believe I understand that the Subscriber would be the correct Server to assign as the Primary IPMA server,  because it has less work to do and then assign the Publisher as the Backup IPMA server.  Would this be correct?

2.  Cisco documentation refers to 7940/7941/7960/7961/7970/7971 phones to be programmed for this solution, but what about 7942 phones?  I would hope that they to can be used for the Assistant console?

3.  Cisco documentation shows that JRE 1.4.2_05 needs to be installed.  Will a current version of Java work as well or do I specifically need this version?

Please supply any other info that would be helpful for this implementation.

4 Replies 4

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Documentation is here

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Features and  Services Guide, Release 8.5(1)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/8_5_1/ccmfeat/fsgd-851-cm.html

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Chirs,

Thanks for your response...great documentation!!

Thanks!

SA

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Susan,

Save yourself some time and don't bother with this feature, use shared lines instead as you will same yourself from painful config/support and end user from frustration. I've deployed it at few customers back few years ago (no improvements have been made to this feature for some time) and they will hated it and ripped it out. Cisco should have gotten rid of this app instead of AC.

HTH,

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for your response!  However, my Manager wants to play with the software on his workstation as a point of reference, so I'll still need to configure the bare bones to get it working.  Do you know if I'm right about which Server should be the Primary and which one should be the Backup?

Susan

BTW: I love CDW!!  It must be great working there.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: