cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Device Mobility CSS

TexasBrandon
Level 1
Level 1

Recently, I have been working on setting up device mobility for a remote site so that when they are using a VPN they use our resources and call routing but when they are own their own network they use the resources allocated to that particular network.  I have everything defined and the phone does indeed change settings based on the group that it belongs to from the subnets defined.  My problem is, the CSS does not change that is clearly defined in the device pool associated with that mobility device group.  I was reading the scenerios here  and they seem conflicting and don't necessarily represent what i going on here unless I am misreading them. 

I'm on CUCM 8.6.1.20000-1 currently.  Anyone have any advice on why the CSS does not change based on the mobility group?  Everything else changes like the locations, MRGLs, etc.  Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is the device mobility group changing when the phone is roaming or is device mobility staying the same?

From features and services guide:

Device Mobility Group Operation

Device mobility groups determine when a device moves to another location within a geographic entity, so a user can use their own dial plan. For example, a device mobility group for the United States and another group for the United Kingdom can be configured. If a phone moves into a different mobility group, CUCM uses the device CSS, AAR group and AAR CSS from the phone record and not from the roaming location.

If the device moves to another location with same mobility group, the CSS information is taken from the roaming device pool settings. With this approach, if the user is dialing PSTN destinations, the user will reach the local gateway.

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is the device mobility group changing when the phone is roaming or is device mobility staying the same?

From features and services guide:

Device Mobility Group Operation

Device mobility groups determine when a device moves to another location within a geographic entity, so a user can use their own dial plan. For example, a device mobility group for the United States and another group for the United Kingdom can be configured. If a phone moves into a different mobility group, CUCM uses the device CSS, AAR group and AAR CSS from the phone record and not from the roaming location.

If the device moves to another location with same mobility group, the CSS information is taken from the roaming device pool settings. With this approach, if the user is dialing PSTN destinations, the user will reach the local gateway.

HTH,

Chris

I found the issue.  My second idea worked out the way I needed it to.  I had device pools using the same device mobility group with different locations.  This forced the CSS to change based on location which was what I was looking for since I want to use resources based on where they are located.  The reason why this wasn't working to begin with was because I made the silly mistake of having more than one tab open on my browser when making changes to the CUCM.  I kept wondering why my phones wernt working the way they should only to find out the device pool settings reverted back despite me saving, applying, and resetting.  Good to go now.  Thanks for the assistance!