Views
Helpful
Replies

devices in Unified CM

Adrián Moran
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all;

Recently I got the mgmt for a CUCM 11.5.1 with cisco Prime license manager, this days I got the message that the system is with insufficient licenses and I cannot add more devices, I want to know which devices corresponding to each license

those are the type of license

CUWL Standard (11.x) - Unified CM

Enhanced Plus (11.x) - Unified CM
Enhanced (11.x) - Unified CM

Basic (11.x) - Unified CM
Essential (11.x) - Unified CM
CUWL Standard Messaging (11.x) - Unity Connection
Basic Messaging (11.x) - Unity Connection

SpeechConnect Port (11.x) - Unity Connection

before ask to buy more I want to make a clean up of non-usage license/device.

hope you can help me or point me in the right direction.

MSE Adrian M.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Licensing for the most part is not per device, it's per user, and the same user, depending on the number of devices he has associated would use one of those licenses.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/collaboration-applications/cucm-12-x-licensing/td-p/3889991

You can see who is using each kind of license in the licensing page in CUCM, and total amount of licenses you have for each in PLM.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Licensing for the most part is not per device, it's per user, and the same user, depending on the number of devices he has associated would use one of those licenses.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/collaboration-applications/cucm-12-x-licensing/td-p/3889991

You can see who is using each kind of license in the licensing page in CUCM, and total amount of licenses you have for each in PLM.

HTH

java

Jaime, 

To your point on users not devices, I'm on ver: 10 and have non DID extensions connecting to an old VM system (Call Express) I'm planning on killing off. I want to make those extensions DID and put 7945 phone devices on them. When I buy these phones from CDW or the like, do I have to buy a license for each phone? I have 10 available extensions I want to put six phones on them. Thanks mate and beers on me if you're in NYC!   

The number of lines is not related to licenses, whether you have 1 line or n lines on a phone, that doesn't matter when it comes to licensing.

What matters is what kind of device is it, and whether the same user to which you associated that device will have more devices associated to him (another deskphone, or Jabber devices)

If you have available licenses in your system, you can try your configuration with bogus MAC addresses and see if you're still compliant, if you're over the licenses your system has, it will actually tell you what kind of licenses is needed based on your configuration.

EDIT: So you have a better idea, you could use anywhere between 1 or 6 licenses depending on the kind of device, and your user/device association. So, no real way to tell you exactly what to buy.

HTH

java

Thanks. I realized I could get licensing info from the Prime Licensing Manager and I see I have availability up to 230 Licences so I should be able to add these phones. I also tried your dummy mac address and that went through with no error. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: