Walkthrough Wednesdays
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Digital Networking Without SMTP Smart Host

Hi,

Has anyone setup Digital Networking on Unity Connection Clusters without using Smart host?

I understand that for Digital Networking on Unity Connection Clusters, we need  to setup a Smart host so that Networking traffic can reach the Subscriber in the  event that the Publisher is down.

However, I would like to know if we can still setup Digital  Networking as if the Unity Connection is not clustered. Of couse, this is with the understanding  that if the Publisher is down, other Unity Connection cluster will not be able  to reach this Unity Connection cluster where the Publisher is down.  But technically, I just want to know if this can be done. From my understanding, when we setup Digit Networking, we are only joining the Publisher on the cluster and having the Smart host is just to resolve the connection to the Subscriber when the Publisher is down.

Appreciate any feed back or comments on this.

Thanks!

Daniel

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Cisco Employee

Hi Daniel,

Setting up the Smart host is only a must if you want to take advantage of server redundancy in the Unity Connection cluster.You can set up the digital networking without defining the smarthost and it works absolutely fine.

My lab setup has Digital Networking configured between a standalone Unity Connection server and the Publisher from a seperate Unity Connection cluster.I have not defined the smart host in any of the servers and it works fine.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,

Saurabh Agnihotri

Content for Community-Ad